Wednesday 11 October 2023

Twice-Baked Soufflé in Tomato-Cream Sauce

I was in a bit of a hurry and messed this recipe up a bit. I saw that it called for either a spinach-parmesan or a cheddar cheese soufflé, so I just went ahead and made the soufflé as directed. It wasn't until I was halfway through making the soufflé (and had already asked TF to prepare the baking dish) that I noticed that it wanted you to make a bunch of small soufflés rather than one large one. Whoops!

I continued with my large soufflé. I figured it'd work out to about the same thing anyway. Just not as cute and visually appealing.

Unfortunately, again because I was in a hurry, I cut the baking time a little short and my soufflé had a bit of a sturcutral integrity issue when I was unmolding it. It wasn't the end of the world. It needed to go back in the oven again once the sauce and cheese went on anyway. But it did mean that the final dish wasn't very aesthetic.

I've included a photo of my fail soufflé here, just to have something. But please be aware that this isn't what it's actually meant to look like.



Twice-Baked Soufflé in Tomato-Cream Sauce

Slightly adapted from The Good Egg by Marie Simmons

Ingredients

  • 1 recipe soufflé batter for spinach-parmesan soufflé
  • 1/2 c. table (18%) cream1
  • 1 (400mL) can diced tomatoes
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 1/2 c. grated Gruyère or fontina

Directions

  1. DO NOT BAKE THE SOUFFLÉ AS DIRECTED IN THE RECIPE.
  2. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) and generously grease six ramekins2 and "flour" them with dry breadcrumbs. Put a kettle on to boil.
  3. Divide the soufflé mixture among the ramekins.
  4. Run a fingertip around the inside rim of each soufflé.
  5. Place a roasting pan or similar large, deep dish in the oven and place the soufflés in it.
  6. Carefully pour boiling water into the pan so that it comes about halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
  7. Bake until the soufflés are puffed and brown on top (35-40 minutes).
  8. Remove from oven and let stand in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
  9. Transfer to a wire rack and cool to room temperature. The soufflés will shrink. This is normal.
  10. Run a spatula around the sides of each soufflé and turn them out.
  11. Place, browned-side-up, in a large baking dish (or individual gratin dishes).
  12. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake again.
  13. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
  14. Meanwhile, combine the cream and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
  15. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the basil.
  16. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for ~10 minutes.
  17. Stir in the slat and pepper and remove from heat.
  18. Spoon the sauce over the soufflés.
  19. Sprinkle the tops with the grated cheese.
  20. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 20-25 minutes.
  21. Serve immediately!



1 The original recipe calls for 1 c. heavy cream and 1 c. diced tomatoes. I ended up using ~3/4 c. heavy cream + ~1/4 c. 1% milk and ~400mL diced tomatoes. It was delicious like this, but I think it would've been fine with a bit less cream, so I've adjusted it down a bit here. Back
2 The recipe calls for six 5-oz. (~150mL) or four 8-oz. (~240mL) ramekins. This doesn't seem like it would provide enough volume though since the soufflé recipe produces enough batter to fill a 6-cup (~1.4L) baking dish. I would think you'd need six 8-oz. ramekins, not four! So... uh, proceed with caution, I guess. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment