Friday 6 October 2023

Puffed Omelette

This is an interesting approach to an omelette. It's a little bit like a soufflé... That you then fill and fold in half.

Like I said, interesting.

I did enjoy it though. And it was kind of fun to try something a bit different for breakfast. I did find myself wishing there as more filling though. I mean, I did have slightly less mushrooms than called for but, even so, I feel like the quantity given in the recipe isn't enough for the amount of omelette. I guess the eggs are meant to be the star of the show. The filling is actually listed as completely optional! But I feel it really needs the filling to complete it. And I really liked the filling, so I've doubled all the filling quantities below. Feel free to use less filling if you'd like, but this is how I'd make it if I were going to be doing it again.


Puffed Omelette

Slightly adapted from The Good Egg by Marie Simmons

Ingredients

  • 4 large eggs, separated
  • pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 c. cold water
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
  • 150-200g mushroms1, sliced
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme (or 1/2 Tbsp. fresh)
  • 2-4 Tbsp. grated cheddar or Gruyère

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
  2. Grind a bit of pepper into the egg yolks and whisk to combine.
  3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.
  4. Add the water and salt and continue beating until soft peaks form2.
  5. Add ~1/3 of the whites to the yolk mixture and mix well. Don't worry about deflating the whites at this point. Just make sure everything is evenly mixed. This first portion of whites just helps to loosen and lighten the yolk mixture to make it easier to fold in the remaining whites.
  6. Add ~1/2 of the remaining whites and carefully fold them in.
  7. Fold in the remaining whites until just combined.
  8. Melt a little of the butter (1/2-3/4 tsp.) in a large oven-safe pan over low heat.
  9. Add the egg mixture to the pan and cook for ~3 minutes. Do not stir!
  10. Transfer the pan to the pan to the oven and bake at 180°C (350°F) for 15 minutes3.
  11. Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter over medium heat.
  12. Add the mushrooms and cook for ~5 minutes.
  13. Add the garlic, parsley, and thyme and cook for another minute or so.
  14. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  15. Remove from heat and set aside until omelette is ready.
  16. Once omelette is cooked through, add the mushroom mixture to the middle of the omelette and top with cheese.
  17. Carefully fold the omelette over.
  18. Cut in half and serve with toast and/or a sauce of your choice4.



1 The recipe doesn't specify what kind of mushrooms, so normally I'd default to cremini here, but I just happened to have some excellent black oyster mushrooms from the folks at Noki Farms sitting in my fridge, so I tossed those in. They were delicious! I definitely recommend using oyster mushrroms if you have them. The black oyster mushrooms were great and I would definitely use them again, but I think pink oyster could also be wonderful. They would give it an almost bacon-y vibe. (Plus they're just so pretty! I'm always looking for an excuse to buy them.) Back 2 Sadly, I think I over-beat my eggs slightly. It was still a nice omelette, just probably not quite optimal. (And possibly why my omelette tore when I tried to fold it over.) Back
3 The original recipe calls for baking the omelette for 12-15 minutes and gives dire warnings against over-baking as this will cause the eggs to become tough. Given such warnings, I elected to bake my omelette for only 12 minutes, turn the oven off, add the filling, and then put it back in the hot oven for 2 minutes. I think this was fine, but I found I actually preferred the more "well-done" outer portions of the omelette, so I think I will just bake it for the full 15 minutes from now on. Back
4 I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I think it would be excellent with some of this fancy ketchup! Back

No comments:

Post a Comment