Monday 2 October 2023

Raspberry-Blueberry Parfaits

I wanted something fairly light for breakfast this morning. I was initially thinking of doing another batch of oatmeal, but I wanted to try something new and I didn't have the right ingredients on hand to do any of the other oatmeal recipes that I had handy. In the end I decided to keep flipping through the Breakfast Bible and see what else caught my eye.

This parfait was the first recipe I came across that I actually had all the ingredients for. And we even still have some raspberries ripening, so I figured this would be a nice opportunity to enjoy them before the season ends.

This is a pleasingly straight-forward recipe with layers of fresh raspberry sauce, Greek yogurt, blueberries, and granola. I just used the last little bit of some store-bought granola I had in the cupboard, but you could make it even more customized and special by using some homemade granola.

And, while I did have lots of fresh raspberries, I didn't have any fresh blueberries handy, so I just thawed out some frozen ones to top my parfait with.

There is some flex in this recipe too. The suggestion is to use raspberries to make the sauce and then add fresh blueberries on top of the yogurt, but the autor notes that strawberries are an acceptable alternative for the sauce layer with blackberries making up the upper layer. You still get to enjoy two different kinds of fruit and a nice colour contrast that way.


Raspberry-Blueberry Parfaits

From The Breakfast Bible by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 1 c. raspberries
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 c. plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 c. blueberries
  • 1 c. granola

Directions

  1. Mash the raspberries with the honey and vanilla to make a chunky sauce.
  2. Divide the sauce between four containers. (There should be ~3 Tbsp. of sauce per container.)
  3. Add 1/2 c. of yogurt to each container.
  4. Layer ~1/4 c. of blueberries on top of the yogurt in each container.
  5. Top with 1/4 c. of granola on each parfait.



Variations

Strawberry-Blackberry Parfaits

Ingredients

  • 1 c. strawberries
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 c. plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 c. blackberries
  • 1 c. granola

No comments:

Post a Comment