Wednesday 18 October 2023

Breaded Sole with Fennel Compote

I'm not a huge fan of fennel, but I still like to try out fennel recipes every once in a while. You never know if this might be the recipe that changes your mind about a particular ingredient. So, I gave this recipe a go. (Although I did cut back on the fennel somewhat.)

Sadly, I don't think this recipe has changed my opinion of fennel. It wasn't bad. The fish was very nice. But it's breaded, fried fish... what's not to like? But the fennel compote left me cold. I didn't hate it, but I couldn't help feeling like it was detracting from my enjoyment of the fish. So, all-in-all, probably not a recipe that I'll be revisiting. But, at least now I know. And I can check one more fennel recipe off my list.


Breaded Sole with Fennel Compote

Slightly adapted from Dish of the Day by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 large fennel bulb, cored and sliced thin
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground and divided
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, ground and divided
  • 1 tsp. lemon zest
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/4 c. white wine
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • 1/4 c. oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1-2 Tbsp. milk
  • 1/8 tsp. hot sauce
  • 1 c. panko
  • 1/4 c. flour
  • ~750g sole fillets
  • 2-3 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley

Directions

  1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the fennel slices, half of the salt, and half of the pepper.
  3. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned (~4 minutes).
  4. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, wine, and sugar.
  5. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until fennel is very tender (~7 minutes). Keep warm while fish cooks.
  6. Heat the 1/4 c. of oil over medium heat.
  7. Beat the egg with the milk, hot sauce, and remaining salt and pepper and place in a wide, shallow bowl.
  8. Combine the panko and flour and place on a large plate (or another wide, shallow bowl).
  9. Dip the fish in the egg to completely coat.
  10. Working with one fillet at a time, dip in the breadcrumbs to completely coat, then transfer to the hot pan. Repeat with remaining fish. You may have to cook it in batches if your pan is not large enough. Add up to another 2 Tbsp. of oil as needed during cooking.
  11. Cook until the breading is golden-brown on both sides and fish is cooked through (3-4 minutes per side).
  12. Serve fish topped with fennel and garnished with parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment