Friday 13 October 2023

Indian-Spiced Roasted Veggies

My mom gave me a recipe for Indian-spiced cauliflower ages ago. I keep meaning to try it but never quite getting to it. But I asked for a cauliflower in my produce basket this week and put it in the meal plan. I wasn't intending to cook it until tomorrow actually. But we were a little short on veggies with dinner last night and I was still feeling hungry, so I grabbed the recipe and got to preparing it.

Our cauliflower was on the small side, and it seemed like a lot of butter for such a small amount of vegetable, so we ended up chopping up a couple carrots and a small delicata squash and tossing them in as well. They roasted up beautifully and meant that we got enough veggies for everyone to enjoy.

I can see why my mom recommended this recipe. It's easy and very tasty. And, based on my results last night, it seems like it adapts to a variety of vegetables quite well. The only thing I might change in the future is to slightly reduce the butter and maybe add a touch of garlic paste. And, if I was doing another mixed vegetable rendition (rather than just cauliflower), I think I'd probably toss in a red onion as well. I think that would be fantastic with these flavours!



Indian-Spiced Roasted Veggies

Adapted from Spruce Eats

Ingredients

  • 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 Tbsp. garlic paste (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp. bin bhuna hua garam masala
  • 1 tsp. cumin seeds, ground
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1/4 tsp. ground kashmiri chilies (optional)
  • 1 head cauliflower, cut into 5cm pieces
  • 1 red onion, cut into wedges (optional)
  • 1 delicata squash, seeded and sliced (optional)
  • 1-4 carrots, cut into coins or sticks (optional)
  • 1-4 parsnips, cut into sticks (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
  2. In a large bowl, combine the butter, garlic paste (if using), garam masala, cumin, salt, and chilies (if using).
  3. Add the cauliflower and any other vegetables you've chosen to use and toss to coat.
  4. Spread the veggies out on a baking sheet.
  5. Bake at 220°C (425°F) for 30-40 minutes, stirring and turning every 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment