Wednesday 4 October 2023

Pumpkin Pie Pancakes

I appreciate that these pumpkin pancakes actually had an appreciable amount of pumpkin in them. Everyone really enjoyed them. And they're not too ruinous nutrition-wise. (Relative to regular buttermilk pancakes at least.)

The original recipe was made with all-purpose flour, but I opted for a mix of white and whole wheat flour. I think next time I'd just make them 100% whole wheat. I think the bran is nice with the spices. And, I didn't do it this time, but I might try swapping out the butter for applesauce next time.


Pumpkin Pie Pancakes

Slightly adapted from Weight Watchers

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 c. hard whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 Tbsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice1
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1 1/4 c. buttermilk
  • 1 c. pumpkin purée
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted2
  • maple syrup and/or whipped cream, to serve

Directions

  1. Combine the flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt and mix well.
  2. In a large measuring cup, beat the buttermilk with the pumpkin, eggs, sugar, and butter (or applesauce).
  3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. If the batter seems too thick, stir in 1-2 Tbsp. of water to thin it to the desired consistency.
  4. Cook the pancakes over medium-low heat, using ~1/4 c. of batter per pancake. Flip when bubbles form and the top starts to look dry and cook until nicely browned on both sides and heated through.
  5. Serve topped with maple syrup, whipped cream, or both!



1 I didn't have any pumpkin pie spice ready to hand, so I just used an equal amount of mixed spice instead. The flavour is slightly different, but similar enough that I felt comfortable using them interchangeably in this recipe. Back
2 As mentioned above, I might consider experimenting with substituting unsweetened applesauce for the butter here. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment