Tuesday 9 April 2024

Chicken Tostada Salad

I haven't been feeling up to much cooking lately, so I've been making a lot of simple soups and salads. I had a bunch of chicken left over from making a soup earlier and spinach left over from the green smoothie bowls, so I decided to combine that into this salad. There were even a few corn tortillas left over in the fridge that I was able to fry up into tostadas, so it worked out quite well all 'round!

The one thing that I did not have was cherry tomatoes, so I opted to mix in a few tinned diced tomatoes instead. I'm honestly pretty happy with how this worked out. Although I was a bit short of greens and I think it probably could've used a bit of cheese. I think a bit of cheddar would have been a really nice complement to all the other elements.



Chicken Tostada Salad

Slightly adapted from Dish of the Day by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 2 limes
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1/8 tsp. peppercorns, ground
  • 1/3 c. olive oil
  • 1 (470g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 c. corn kernels
  • 2 c. cherry tomatoes, halved (or 2 c. canned diced tomatoes)
  • 1 jalapeño or poblano chile, minced
  • 1 head romaine or leafe lettuce (or equivalent amount of spinach), torn into bite-sized pieces
  • 300-350g cooked chicken, shredded
  • 1 c. grated cheddar (optional)
  • 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
  • 1/4-1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2-4 green onions, sliced (optional)
  • 4 tostadas

Directions

  1. Zest and juice the limes.
  2. Combine the lime juice, zest, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
  3. Slowly drizzle in the oil while whisking vigorously.
  4. Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, and chile and toss to combine. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
  5. Add the lettuce, chicken, and cheese.
  6. Top with avocado, cilantro, green onions, and cheese (if using).
  7. Serve with tostadas on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment