Friday 19 April 2024

Emmental and Fines Herbes Waffles

I'm into the savoury waffle chapter in the book now. I have been going along more-or-less in order, but I did have to skip over the first one as it called for mini salt & pepper waffles to be served with clam dip. Given that we haven't entirely sorted out the Kidlet's potential shellfish allergy yet, I figured that the bivalves might be better saved for another occasion.

These cheese-and-herb waffles were the next up after that and they were great! The combination works really well. I decided to serve up my waffle with some scrambled eggs. And the Kidlet had hers with some chicken and cheddar. But they're honestly really delicious just plain as well.

I think bacon would have been the ideal accompaniment. The recipe author actually suggests bacon and soft poached eggs, which sounds divine! Really though, there's a lot that you can do with these crisp, cheesey, delights. They seem like they could provide a good starchy-savoury base for a lot of things.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any chervil for my waffles. Nor could I get my hands on any fresh tarragon. So I had to make do with chives, parsley, and dried tarragon. And since I didn't have any chervil, I just doubled up on the tarragon. Not the same, I know, but I'm still happy with the results.



Emmental and Fines Herbes Waffles

Slightly adapted from Waffles: Sweet, Savory, Simple by Dawn Yanagihara

Ingredients

  • 240g all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 3/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 150g Emmental cheese, grated
  • 2 c. milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
  • 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
  • 1/4 c. chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon (or 3/4 tsp. dried)
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chervil (or tarragon)

Directions

  1. Preheat waffle iron.
  2. Sift the baking powder into the flour.
  3. Mix in the sugar, pepper, and salt.
  4. Add the cheese and mix well, breaking up any clumps.
  5. In a large measuring cup, beat the eggs into the milk.
  6. Slowly drizzle in the butter, whisking to combine.
  7. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk to combine.
  8. Fold in the chives, parsley, tarragon, and chervil.
  9. Pour one portion of batter into the waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer's directions. Repeat until all batter has been used.
  10. Serve plain or with bacon, eggs, sautéed mushrooms, and/or additional accompaniments of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment