Monday 1 April 2024

Green Smoothie Bowls

I've never really gotten on board with the whole green smoothie/puréed vegetables for breakfast thing. Mixing a little bit of wheatgrass or whatever in is one thing, but if you're putting in enough greens to make it look like a St. Patrick's Day special, I am immediately dubious. It starts seeming like one of those health food fads that tries to pack in "superfoods" and forgets that food is actually supposed to taste good. So, I generally avoid the recipes that call for you to drink a kale-spirulina-avocado-superfood-of-the-month slurry sweetened with positive energy and sunshine. But... I'd already made all the other smoothie bowls in the book. And this one at least called for a decent quantity of banana and almond butter. So it seemed like those would hopefully end up as the dominant flavours, with the spinach and avocado just lending a bit of colour and bulk. And, I have to say, it did work out rather nicely! I qwas quite happy with the results and would definitely make it again.

I did add a bit of honey to my smoothie. And I also bumped up the quantity of almond butter a bit. And I think it did need that to get the flavours balanced right. But, having done that, it was great!

I also decided to add a little bit of toasted coconut to mine (not pictured). Which I think was a good combo. I think pineapple would also work well as a topping if you happen to have some on hand.



Green Smoothie Bowls

Slightly adapted from The Breakfast Bible by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 1 c. plain Greek yogurt
  • 55g baby spinach
  • 1/2 an avocado
  • 2 bananas
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 3-4 Tbsp. almond butter
  • 1 mango, sliced
  • 150g blueberries
  • 2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds (pepitas), toasted
  • 1 Tbsp. oat bran1, toasted
  • 1-2 Tbsp. toasted coconut (optional)

Directions

  1. Combine the yogurt, spinach, avocado, bananas, honey, and almond butter in a blender and purée until smooth.
  2. Divide the smoothie into 2-4 bowls depending on how big you want your servings to be. (I found 1/4 of the batch to be plenty for me.)
  3. For small bowls: top each with 1/4 of the mango, ~35g of blueberries, 1/2 Tbsp. of pumpkin seeds, 3/4 tsp. oat bran, and ~1/2 Tbsp. of coconut. For large bowls: double all the topping quantities.



1 I couldn't find my oat bran, so I just omitted it. The Kidlet probably wouldn't have liked it anyway. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment