Saturday 6 April 2024

Celery Root Rémoulade

This simple salad was alright. It wasn't great, but it used up the rest of the celery root I had sitting in the fridge and it was decent enough as a side dish. I probably won't make it again, but it was interesting to try.

Photo goes here.

Celery Root Rémoulade

Slightly adapted from Vegetable of the Day by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 680g celery root (celeriac)
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 3 Tbsp. Roman mustard1
  • 1/4 c. boiling water
  • 1/4 c. olive oil2
  • 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar3
  • 3-4 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives

Directions

  1. Peel the celery root and cut it into thin matchsticks.
  2. Sprinkle with lemon juice and sea salt and toss to combine.
  3. Cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
  4. After standing for 30 minutes, rinse the celery root, drain, and pat dry.
  5. Warm a heatproof bowl and place the mustard in it.
  6. Drizzle the boiling water into the mustard, whisking constantly.
  7. Slowly drizzle in the oil, continuing to whisk while doing so.
  8. Whisk in the vinegar.
  9. Add the celery root and toss to combine.
  10. Cover and cill for 3-24 hours.
  11. Sprinkle with chives and serve.



1 The original recipe calls for 1/4 c. of Dijon mustard. I reduced this to 3 Tbsp. since I generally find our homemade Roman mustard quite strong. You may want to bump it up slightly if you're using a milder mustard. Back
2 The original recipe calls for 1/3-1/2 c. of olive oil, but only 3 Tbsp. of water and 2 Tbsp. of vinegar. I usually like my salad dressings to have a bit less oil and more vinegar, so I reduced the oil and increased the water and vinegar somewhat. Back
3 The original recipe calls for either white wine or champagne vinegar. I didn't want to go out and get a whole new bottle of vinegar just for this one recipe, so I just used the red wine vinegar that I already had on hand. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment