Saturday 21 October 2023

Pumpkin Granola

I've been continuing to work my way through various pumpkin recipes while they're in season here. So far I've made pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin muffins, a pumpkin-apple brown betty (which I haven't had a chance to do a write-up for yet), and two different kinds of pumpkin bread. I've also got a beef and pumpkin stew queued up. But for today, I decided to give this pumpkin granola recipe a try.

Now, first thing's first: I like this granola a lot. Especially the walnuts; they go very well with the spices and toast up really nicely as the granola cooks and come out with a beautiful warm, deep flavour. And, while the nut/seed butter in the wet ingredient mixture isn't front-and-centre in this recipe, it adds a lovely richness to the whole thing. So yes, I really enjoyed this granola.

That said... I probably would try changing a few things next time.

I only had peanut butter and tahini to choose from nut/seed butter-wise, so I went with tahini for this iteration. And it was great! But I'd love to try tripling down on the pumpkin next time and try using pumpkin seed butter instead.

And, while I'm at it, I'd also be inlined to up the pumpkin purée slightly. It was fine as is, but it seemed like it would probably take extra pumpkin well too. And, while the final granola was very tasty, it did not actually taste very pumpkin-y too me, so I'd like to try cramming even more pumpkin into it next time if possible.


Pumpkin Granola

Slightly adapted from Jessica in the Kitchen

Ingredients

  • 3 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 c. chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 c. pumpkin seeds
  • 2 tsp. mixed spice or pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 c. pumpkin seed butter (or tahini or almond butter)
  • 1/2 c. maple syrup
  • 1/2 c. pumpkin purée
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/2 c. dried cranberries (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
  2. Combine the oats, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and spice blend and mix well.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the seed (or nut) butter, maple syrup, pumpkin, and sea salt and mix well.
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix very thoroughly.
  5. Spread the granola out on the prepared baking sheet and bake at 180°C (350°F) for 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
  6. Mix in the dried cranberries (if using).

No comments:

Post a Comment