Wednesday 25 August 2021

Mandalay Grated Carrot Salad

I have, apparently, been quite remiss in writing up the Burmese recipes that I've tried. I've made quite a few at this point. I've liked most of them. But when I went to check the blog... I could only find one!

I'm trying to rectify this now. This means that the Burmese recipes will probably be coming thick and fast for a few days with not too much in the way of notes or musings since it's been ages since I cooked most of them. I'll do my best to add relevant commentary, but it may be a bit sparse. I know, for instance, that I made this carrot salad. But I can't remember a darn thing about it!

Mandalay Grated Carrot Salad

Slightly adapted from Burma: Rivers of Flavor by Naomi Duguid

Ingredients

  • 225g carrots, grated
  • 1 Tbsp. lime juice
  • 1 tsp. fish sauce
  • 2 tsp. Dried Shrimp Powder
  • 1 tsp. Toasted Chickpea Flour
  • 1 tsp. minced green Thai or cayenne chili
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped toasted or dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
  • 2 Tbsp. Fried Shallots
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro or mint

Directions

  1. Place the carrots in a bowl and add the lime juice and fish sauce.
  2. Press/mash with the back of a wooden spoon for a few minutes to break them up a bit.
  3. Add the shrimp powder and chickpea flour and toss to mix.
  4. Add the chili and salt and toss again.
  5. Add the peanuts, fried shallots, and herbs and toss a final time.
  6. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, lime juice, and/or fish sauce and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment