Thursday 12 August 2021

Funfetti Cupcakes

The Kidlet and I wanted to try this funfetti cupcake recipe. I already have a good one, but I wanted to give this one a go and see how it compared. Overall, I think I like the America's Test Kitchen recipe better, but this one is still nice. The cupcakes rise fairly well, and they're tender. They are very sweet. So sweet that the Kidlet and I decided that we didn't want to ice them after all. That said, flavour is nice and they do work quite well as an uniced cupcake.

In future I'll probably go back to the ATK recipe for my future confetti cupcake needs, but I'm glad I gave this one a try.

Funfetti Cupcakes

slightly adapted from C&C Cakery via the Something Awful Forums

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. almond extract
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 2 Tbsp. plain yogurt
  • 1/4 c. sprinkles

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a miffin tin with cupcake liners/papers.
  2. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  4. Beat in egg whites one at a time.
  5. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts.
  6. In a small measuring cup, whisk together milk and yogurt.
  7. Add half of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir to combine.
  8. Pour in the milk mixture and stir to combine.
  9. Stir in the remaining flour mixture along with the sprinkles.
  10. Spoon into cupcake liners. Do not overfill. This recipe should just make 12 cupcakes. It may look like the wells are underfulled, but they should rise fairly well during baking.
  11. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for ~20 minutes.
  12. Remove from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool.
  13. Once completely cooled, ice if desired. The original recipe recommends a Swiss meringue buttercream, but I would be inclined to try a French buttercream to help use up the excess egg yolks.
  14. Garnish with additional sprinkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment