Monday 9 August 2021

Coconut Custard

I made quiche the other day. The recipe was for a "shallow 9 inch tart tin", which is what I used. My eggs weren't overly large, but I still somehow managed to have nearly a cup of custard left over. Since the custard was unseasoned, I decided to look for something else to do with it to use it up and landed on this coconut custard recipe. The original recipe alls for 3 large eggs + 1 yolk and 2 cups of milk or half-and-half. I figured that since I had about a cup of custard left (made with heavy cream), I'd just add two whole eggs and a cup of milk and call it a day.

The recipe below follows the book, rather than exactly what I did since I don't expect everyone to be making this with half a portion of left over custard mixture. The only change I've made is to mix the full amount of coconut into the custard rather than saving a portion for sprinkling on top. I tried it with extra coconut sprinkled on top and it was fine, but I don't think I added anything that mixing the extra into the custard wouldn't have done.



Coconut Custard

Slightly adapted from the Good Egg by Marie Simmons

Ingredients

  • 2/3 c. sweetened flaked coconut
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 2 c. half-and-half (10%) or table (18%) cream
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F) and boil some water.
  2. Spread coconut out on a pie plate or baking sheet and bake until golden (~5 minutes).
  3. If using individual custard cups, divide the coconut evenly between the cups and place them in a 23x33cm (9x13") baking pan. If using one large dish, place the coconut in the bottom of the dish and set it inside a larger pan.
  4. Whisk eggs, egg yolk, and sugar together.
  5. Whisk in cream and vanilla.
  6. Pour mixture into baking dish or divide between custard cups.
  7. Add boiling water to the outer pan to come ~halfway up the side of the custard dish(es).
  8. Bake until set but still jiggly (25-30 minutes).
  9. Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving. Serve warm or chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment