Wednesday 11 August 2021

Braised Barbecued Short Ribs

In the stock recipe I wrote up yesterday, I kept referring to the braising liquid from these ribs. Given that, I figured I'd better write up this recipe next.

These ribs were really excellent. The homemade barbecue sauce really made them. I found it a bit on the tomato-y/ketchup-y side for my tastes, but that's probably because I didn't boil the braising liquid down as much as I was supposed to. You're supposed to strain it and then boil it down until you have only ~3/4 of a cup left. I didn't want to do that for reasons of both time and heat and humidity. I also didn't feel like straining the sauce. So instead, I boiled it down 'til there was maybe 2 cups left (including all the solids) and then I used a generous 3/4 c. in the sauce and the rest went into the roasting pan with the vegetables and soup bones. I'm sure if I'd concentrated the liquid as much as I was supposed to it would've balanced out the tomato flavour. In lieu of that, I think that next time I'd try adding a teaspoon or two of dark mushroom soy sauce.



Braised Barbecued Short Ribs

Slightly adapted from The Right Recipe

Ingredients

Braising

  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 6-8 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 2 tsp. cumin seeds
  • 2 bottles of beer1
  • 1 c. dry white wine
  • 1 chipotle in adobo2
  • 1 tsp. chicken stock powder (or amount needed to make 1 c. of stock)
  • 1/2 tsp. black peppercorns
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2-2.3kg short (braising/English cut) ribs
  • water3 (optional, see footnote)

Barbecuing

  • braising liquid (from above)
  • 1 c. ketchup
  • 2 Tbsp. molasses
  • 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1-2 tsp. dark soy sauce (optional)

Directions

Braising

  1. Heat oil over medium heat. (Or use "sauté" setting on InstantPot.)
  2. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened.
  3. Add oregano and cumin and sizzle for 30-60 seconds.
  4. Pour in beer and wine.
  5. Add chipotle, stock powder, peppercorns, bay leaf, and ribs.
  6. If necessary, add water to just cover the ribs.
  7. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
  8. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2-3 hours.
  9. Remove ribs from braising liquid and set aside to cool.

Barbecuing

  1. If desired, strain the braising liquid and remove the solids.
  2. Return liquid to pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
  3. Cook, uncovered for ~60 minutes.
  4. Combine 3/4 c. of the braising liquid (which may or may not be all of it) with the ketchup, molasses, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce (if using). Excess braising liquid can be reserved for another use.
  5. Stir to combine and heat sauce over medium heat. Simmer, uncovered, for a few minutes to marry the flavours.
  6. Meanwhile, heat up your grill. The ribs will be cooked over direct heat, so arrange your coals/burners accordingly.
  7. Oil either the cooking grates or the meat or both and toss the ribs on the grill.
  8. Once the ribs have some good colour on them (3-5 minutes per side), baste with sauce and cook for another minute or two on each side.
  9. Serve hot with additinal sauce and roasted veggies or other sides of your choice.



1 The original recipe calls for 3 bottles of lager. I didn't have any lager, but I did have a bottle each of alcoholic ginger beer, some sort of raspberry beer, and white wine. I put in both of the sugary beers + some dry white wine to balance it out a bit. Back
2 The original recipe calls for a fresh jalapeño to be minced and sautéed with the onion and garlic. I didn't have any fresh jalapeños, but I did have a tin of chipotles in adobo. I figured it would work just fine since chipotles are just smoked jalapeños anyway. There were some aditional flavours from the adobo, but I think they were all harmonious. If you don't have any chipotles on hand, feel free to use a jalapeño instead. Back
3 I was using up the last of my braising ribs and only had ~1.6kg left. Because the quantity of ribs was less, I found that I didn't need any water to get enough liquid to cover the ribs. If you're making this with the full amount of ribs, you may find that you need to add water to get the ribs fully submerged. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment