Monday 16 August 2021

Chocolate Custard

I had some extra egg yolks to use up and decided to try out this baked custard now that we've restocked on chocolate. I'm really pleased with how it came out. Pleasantly chocolatey and not too sweet. I served it with a dollop of unswetened whipped cream.



Chocolate Custard

Slightly adapted from the Good Egg by Marie Simmons

Ingredients

  • 2 c. whole (3-4%) milk
  • 85g dark chocolate
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large egg yolks1
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
  2. Heat milk over medium-low heat until hot, but not boiling.
  3. Add chocolate and sugar and stir until chocolate has melted and sugar has dissolved.
  4. Remove from heat and set aside.
  5. Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla.
  6. Slowly whisk in the milk mixture.
  7. If desired, strain the mixture. (I didn't bother with straining.)
  8. Pour the mixture into a baking dish or several small ramekins.
  9. Place the dish(es) into a large baking pan and pour boiling water into the pan so that it comes halfway up the sides of the dish(es).
  10. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 30 minutes.
  11. My custard didn't seem quite set yet, so I removed it from the bain marie and baked it at 160°C (325°F) for another 5 minutes.
  12. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
  13. Serve room temperature or chilled. Top with whipped cream if desired.



1 My eggs were a little on the small side and I had three egg yolks to use up, so I just put them all in. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment