Tuesday 6 November 2018

Sweet Potato & Squash Tagine

I've mostly been turning to my ATK Complete Vegetarian Cookbook for dinner recipes lately. And I've been pretty happy with that. I suddenly got a craving for Moroccan though, so I figured maybe it was time to bust out the tagine cookbook. Squash is in season and on sale right now and I have sweet potatoes left from the gratin that never got made, so a squash and sweet potato tagine made for a natural choice.

Sweet Potato & Squash Tagine

From 150 Best Tagine Recipes

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. ras el hanout
  • 2 c. cubed sweet potato
  • 1 c. cubed squash1
  • 1/2 c. orange juice
  • 2 c. cooked chickpeas
  • 1 c. dried apricots, slivered

Directions

  1. Melt butter with oil over medium heat.
  2. Add onion, garlic, and ras el hanout. Cook until onion has softened.
  3. Add sweet potato, squash, and orange juice.
  4. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 45 minutes, adding more liquid as necessary.
  5. Add chickpeas and apricots, cover, and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes.
  6. Serve over couscous with condiment of choice. (I recommend chermoula, harissa, tamarind-date chutney, or cilantro-mint chutney.)



Variations

Vegan

Ingredients

  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. ras el hanout
  • 2 c. cubed sweet potato
  • 1 c. cubed squash1
  • 1/2 c. orange juice
  • 2 c. cooked chickpeas
  • 1 c. dried apricots, slivered

1 I used a white swan squash for this. I'm sure butternut or delicata would also work well. The recipe also recommends turnip in place of squash. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment