Tuesday 13 November 2018

Scones

This is just the basic scone recipe out of Edmonds. Very simple and easy to put together and I really like the results. Nice and tender and buttery. They remind me of a slightly less flaky buttermilk biscuit.

The recipe calls for "butter" which, in NZ, generally means salted butter as far as I can tell. It also calls for an additional 1/4 tsp. of salt. I contemplated leaving the salt out since I was already using salted butter, but decided to do it recipe as written for now to see how they came out. The salt was definitely noticeable, but I actually quite liked it. That said, if I were to do one of the sweet variations in the future -- date scones, sultana scones, or ginger scones -- I definitely think I'd skip the extra salt. I might even leave it out for the cheese scone variation since the cheese itself will add extra salt. And, although I like the saltiness of the basic scones, I think that it would've been too much had I also been putting salted butter on them. Given that, I'd probably leave the salt out in future and just put a bit of salted butter on them if I wanted that extra hit of sodium.

Scones

From Edmonds Cookery Book

Ingredients

  • 3 c. soft (plain/standard/cake) flour
  • 5 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt (optional)
  • 75g salted butter
  • 1 1/4 c. milk
  • extra milk, for glazing

Directions

  1. Grease and flour a baking sheet.
  2. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt (if using).
  3. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
  4. Pour in milk and quickly mix with a spatula or round-bladed knife until mixture is just wet. Do not over-mix or gluten will start to develop and make the scones tough.
  5. Scrape dough onto baking sheet, flour top, and pat into a large rectangle about 2cm high.
  6. Cut into 12 equal portions1.
  7. Separate the scones so that they each have a couple cm of space between them.
  8. Brush the tops with milk.
  9. Bake at 450°F (220°C) for 10 minutes.
  10. Any scones that are not eaten immediately should be wrapped in a clean cloth to keep them soft.



1 I accidentally cut mine into 24 portions. They still baked up well and tasted great. They were just mini scones. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment