Tuesday 27 November 2018

Lemon Delicious

This is the first thing I've made where I've felt a little like I was trying to do a Great British Bake Off technical challenge. I had a recipe, but I had no idea what it was supposed to come out like. And the recipe seemed very odd to me. The description made it sound like a sort of lemon self-saucing sponge pudding. But the recipe only contained 2 Tbsp. of sugar and looked a bit more souflé-like.

In the end, it came out very light, pale, and almost meringue-like with -- as promised by Edmonds -- a layer of lemon custard at the bottom. I think it probably could've used a couple tablespoons more sugar, but that could just be down to the size of my lemon.

Lemon Delicious

From Edmonds Cookery Book

Ingredients

  • 1 c. full fat milk1
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • juice and zest of one lemon
  • 2 Tbsp. soft (plain/standard/cake) flour
  • 1 Tbsp. salted butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, separated

Directions

  1. Whisk together milk, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, flour, butter, and egg yolks until smooth and well-blended.
  2. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C) and grease a small casserole dish and set it inside a larger ovenproof dish or pot filled with enough water to come about halfway up the sides of the casserole.
  3. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
  4. Gently fold egg whites into lemon mixture being careful not to knock too much air out.
  5. Pour mixture into prepared casserole.
  6. Bake at 325°F (160°C) for 40 minutes.



1 I ended up using 2 Tbsp. of heavy (35%) cream and then adding 1% milk to make a cup. That seems to have done a reasonable job of approximating whole/full fat milk. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment