Friday 30 November 2018

Spinach and Walnut Lasagne

I was surprised to see that Edmonds' vegetarian lasagne recipe didn't involve any tomato sauce. It also called for a huge amount of cheese but hardly any spinach or walnuts! Only 130g and 50g respectively. I upped the spinach to 300g and the walnuts to 100g. I think that gave a decent amount of spinach, but I still felt like it could've done with more walnuts. Especially since the walnuts are apparently meant to be one of the key components going by the title.

Spinach and Walnut Lasagne

Slightly adapted from Edmonds Cookery Book

Ingredients

  • 1 recipe cheese sauce
  • 300g frozen chopped spinach
  • 225g ricotta
  • 150g chopped walnuts
  • 300g grated mozzarella, divided
  • salt and pepper
  • 50-100g blue cheese1
  • up to 250g lasagne noodles, ready to use2
  • 1 (370g) jar roasted red bell peppers
  • 2-3 Tbsp. roasted garlic purée

Directions

  1. Make the cheese sauce and set aside.
  2. Thaw the spinach and press out as much liquid as possible.
  3. Combine the spinach, ricotta, walnuts, 200g of mozzarella, and blue cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Place a layer of lasagne noodles in the bottom of a greased lasagne pan.
  5. Spread a thin layer of roasted garlic over the noodles.
  6. Spread a layer of spinach mixture over the garlic.
  7. Pour some of the cheese sauce over the spinach.
  8. Put a layer of roasted red peppers over the cheese sauce.
  9. Repeat the layers as many times as possible ending with a cheese sauce layer.
  10. Sprinkle with the remaining 100g of mozzarella.
  11. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 1 hour.



1 The recipe calls for an optional 100g blue cheese so I added 100g Rosenberg Danish blue to my spinach mixture. It was delicious. That said the blue cheese overpowered basically everything else in the dish. And some things that weren't! (The container of whipped cream that sat next to the lasagne in the fridge ended up tasting very faintly of blue cheese after a couple days.) Next time I think I'd either scale the blue cheese back to 50g or use a milder blue if going with the full 100g. I really like Danish blue, but it might be nice to try it with Gorgonzola dolce or saint agur at some point. Back
2 I must've made my layers a lot thicker than they did because I was only able to get two repetitions of each thing in before I ran out of spinach mixture and cheese sauce. This meant that I didn't use nearly the full 250g of pasta. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment