Sunday 18 November 2018

Grapefruit Curd

I really wanted to make grapefruit curd to go with my cake. Historically I've generally had some sort of fresh fruit or fruit compote on my angel food cake along with a dollop of whipped cream. I suddenly got the idea of grapefruit curd in my head and haven't been able to shake it.

I was reasonably pleased with the result... eventually. Recipe as written, it came out very bitter. Sour/tart would've been fine, but it was almost inedibly bitter. Adding an extra 1/4 c. of sugar helped balance things out a bit. I still noticed a slight bitter aftertaste, but TF couldn't taste it when he tried it the next day.

I'm not sure if the bitterness came from the large quantity of grapefruit zest called for in the recipe or the pulp or what. (The recipe didn't specify whether the juice should be strained or not and I thought the little pink bits of pulp looked pretty so I left them in.) I think next time I'd try reducing the zest and straining the juice to see if that gives a less bitter result that doesn't need quite so much extra sugar.

Grapefruit Curd

Slightly adapted from Martha Stewart

Ingredients

  • 2 c. strained, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
  • 2 Tbsp. grapefruit zest
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 3/8 c. (6 Tbsp.) to 3/4 c. sugar, depending on how sweet your grapefruit are and how sweet/tart you like your curd
  • pinch of coarse sea salt
  • 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into small chunks and softened

Directions

  1. Bring juice to a boil over medium heat and cook until reduced by half. Set aside and allow to cool.
  2. Combine zest, eggs, yolks, sugar, and salt in a heatproof bowl and mix well.
  3. Slowly whisk in the juice reduction.
  4. Place bowl over boiling water (double boiler set-up) and cook until thickened, whisking constantly.
  5. Remove from heat and whisk in butter.
  6. Chill and serve cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment