Friday 16 November 2018

Cinnamon Scrolls

I've been wanting to try out this cinnamon scroll recipe for ages. It's a fairly basic, yeasted, enriched dough cinnamon roll. But it's been a really long time since I've worked with an enriched dough and I was intrigued by the use of soft flour in this recipe. It seemed like a fun thing to try. And I liked the idea of keeping my first foray (back) into enriched dough fairy simple.

There are actually instructions for making sticky cinnamon scrolls (aka schnecken) after the main recipe. They sound amazing! But I wanted to stick to the basic recipe for my first go 'round. I'll definitely be trying the schnecken next time though. The basic cinnamon scrolls were nice, but slightly lacking in both sweetness and cinnamon flavour. Adding a sweet, sticky topping to them would certainly address the lack of sweetness. And I think I'd just double the cinnamon in the filling next time for an extra cinnamon-y kick.

Cinnamon Scrolls

Slightly adapted from Edmonds Cookery Book

Ingredients

Dough

  • 1 c. warm water
  • 4 tsp. active dry yeast
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 115g salted butter, melted
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 tsp. salt1
  • 4 1/2 c. soft (plain/standard/cake) flour
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom2 (optional)

Filling

  • 115g salted butter, softened
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon3

Glaze4

  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 Tbsp. milk

Directions

  1. Dissolve 1 tsp. of sugar in the warm water and sprinkle with yeast. Set aside for 15 minutes.
  2. Stir in remaining sugar, melted butter, eggs, and salt and mix well.
  3. Add flour and cardamom (if using) and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. The mixture will be fairly loose. Almost more like a thick batter than a dough.
  4. Cover and chill (in the fridge) for at least 2 hours or as long as overnight.
  5. After dough has chilled, turn out onto floured surface and divide in half.
  6. Roll each half out to a 30-35cm square.
  7. Spread half of the softened butter onto each square.
  8. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon and mix well.
  9. Sprinkle half of the sugar mixture over each square.
  10. Firmly roll squares up and press edges to seal.
  11. Cut each log into 9 even pieces and arrange into two greased 8" (20cm) round tins.
  12. Cover with a cloth and leave to rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
  13. Combine beaten egg with milk and mix well.
  14. When rolls have risen, brush tops with egg mixture.
  15. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 30 minutes.
  16. Let cool in tins for 5 minutes before turning out.
  17. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm.



1 The original recipe calls for 1/2 tsp. salt, but I halved it since there was already quite a bit of salt coming from the butter. Back
2 I didn't add any cardamom to mine. Back
3 The original recipe calls for 3 tsp. (1 Tbsp.) cinnamon. I didn't find that amount of cinnamon to have much impact though, so I'll definitely put a bit more in next time. Back
4 Full disclosure: I completely forgot to glaze my buns. They were still tasty, but I'm sure they would've had a much nicer finish with the glaze. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment