Thursday 22 November 2018

Chocolate Cream Biscuits

I wanted something to do while waiting for the cracked wheat to soak for my bread, so I decided to make cookies. Edmonds recommends filling these sandwich cookies with either chocolate buttercream or ganache. I'm sure they'd be fine with the buttercream, but between the two, it's really no contest: Ganache is far and away the winner for me!

Edmonds ganache recipe calls for butter whereas I'm used to making ganache with just chocolate and heavy cream. I decided to go the two-ingredient route and try whipping it as suggested by America's Test Kitchen when using ganache as a filling or frosting. I had to run out to pick up the kidlet from school after preparing it and it got a bit colder and stiffer than I would've liked, but overall I think the whipped ganache worked well.

The mixed spice in the cookie dough was really nice. I think it'd be fun to try adding different flavours to the ganache as well. Or maybe swapping out the mixed spice in the dough for other flavours. It might be fun to experiment with ground almonds and/or almond extract in the dough or amaretto in the ganache. Mint, ginger, cherry, hazelnut, or orange would also be interesting.


Chocolate Cream Biscuits

From Edmonds Cookery Book

Ingredients

  • 75g salted butter, softened
  • 125g sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 175g soft (plain/standard/cake) flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. mixed spice
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa
  • 1/2 recipe chocolate ganache

Directions

  1. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Beat in egg.
  3. Sift in flour, baking powder, mixed spice, and cocoa.
  4. Mix to form a stiff dough.
  5. Wrap in parchment paper or plastic wrap and chill for at least 10 minutes.
  6. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 4mm thickness.
  7. Cut out circles1, re-rolling as needed.
  8. Place biscuits on a greased (or parchment-lined) baking tray and bake at 375°F (190°C) for 10-12 minutes.
  9. Remove from oven, but leave on tray for 2 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool.
  10. Cool completely before filling.
  11. Spread (or pipe) ganache onto half the biscuits.
  12. Place another biscuit on top to make a sandwich.



1 Use whatever size circles you prefer. I went with a 4.75cm cutter and ended up with 48 biscuits (24 once they were sandwiched together with the ganache). Back

No comments:

Post a Comment