Tuesday 19 March 2024

Mixed Fruit Smoothie Bowls

I've almost finished working my way through all the smoothie bowl recipes in the Breakfast Bible. I made this mixed berry one yesterday and tried a variation on the tropical fruit smoothie bowl this morning.

I liked this one, but the smoothie came out very soupy. The Kidlet actually prefers that, but, if I'm going to be trying to decant it into a bowl and top it with things, I prefer a slightly thicker base. If nothing else, it allows the toppings to actually sit on top rather than immediately sinking below the surface.

To be fair, the recipe does call for freezing the banana before blending, which I forgot to do. But I still think it would have been too thin. Maybe feezing both the banana and the coconut milk would do the trick?

I also didn't have any almond milk and didn't want to go out and get a carton just for this recipe.1 Instead of almond milk, I opted for oat milk with a bit of almond butter stirred in.2 And since the Kidlet doesn't like pomegranate anymore, I swapped out the pomegranate arils for some fresh blueberries.


Mixed Fruit Smoothie Bowls

Slightly adapted from The Breakfast Bible by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 1 c. oat milk
  • 1 c. plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 c. lite coconut milk, frozen in cubes
  • 1 c. frozen mixed berries
  • 1 banana, frozen
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 Tbsp. almond butter (optional)
  • 1/2 c. fresh raspberries
  • 1/4 c. pomegranate arils (or 1/2 c. fresh blueberries)
  • 2 Tbsp. shredded coconut4
  • 2 Tbsp. wheat germ, toasted

Directions

  1. Combine the oat milk, yogurt, frozen coconut milk, frozen berries, frozen banana, honey, and almond butter in a blender and purée until smooth.
  2. Divide the smoothie between 4 bowls.
  3. Top each with ~2 Tbsp. of raspberries, 1 Tbsp. of pomegranate arils (or 2 Tbsp. of blueberries), 1/2 Tbsp. of coconut, and 1/2 Tbsp. of toasted wheat germ.



1 Especially since I find myself feeling increasingly concerned about the environmental aspects of growing almonds. I still eat them in moderation, but almond milk seems particularly water-intensive and wasteful. Back
2 Which I know is probably not much better than just using almond milk, but... what can I say? I already had a jar of almond butter in the fridge. I haven't had a chance to look into it, but hopefully almond butter is at least slightly less bad water and waste-wise than almond milk. That said, you still have all the ecological impact from the actual almond farming, so... it's probably not great either way.3 Back
3 Thinking about this stuff makes me sad and frustrated. I wish everything wasn't so complicated and I wish that it was easier to figure out the consequences of my choices. Back
4 I picked up some toasted coconut slices on sale a few days ago, so I just used that here. Either one will work just fine. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment