Sunday 3 March 2024

Açaí Smoothie Bowls

I decided to try another smoothie bowl recipe this morning. This one wasn't as big a success as the previous one, but I still quite liked it. Although, considering that neither the Kidlet nor TF liked it as much and that finding the açaí for it is a bit of a pain, I probably won't bother revisiting this one. Still... it was nice to try it out.

The original recipe calls for "4 packets of aça&iactue; purée". I've never seen anything like that sold in stores. But I did remember Zehr's carrying these "asana" smoothie cubes that are a mix of blueberry, açaí, and cherry. So I grabbed a package of those and figured I'd just roll with it.

I was also all out of goji berries. I keep meaning to get more, but never quite making it to the Asian supermarket to pick them up. Zehr's did have some, but they were pretty expensive. So I picked up a package of the currently on sale health food trail mix instead. It had a mix of Brazil nuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, white mulberries, rasins, ground cherries, and goji berries. Not quite the same as straight-up goji berries, I know, but I figured it was probably close enough.

Blueberries were on sale this week, so I opted to swap out the fresh strawberries (which didn't look very nice) for a couple handfulls of fresh blueberries instead. I feel like this worked quite well! (Although I forgot to add them until after TF had snapped the photo for this post.) Use either strawberries or blueberries depending on what's available.

Oh, and I guess the other change I made was to add a little bit of yogurt. I was having trouble getting the smoothie to blend and eventually added a little plain yogurt just to see if that would help... smooth things out a bit. Which did seem to work well. You may or may not need the yogurt depending on what you're using for the main, açaí, part of the smoothie.



Açaí Smoothie Bowls

Slightly adapted from The Breakfast Bible by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 405g Evive "asana" (or other açaí-containing frozen fruit mixture)
  • 1/4 c. frozen raspberries
  • 1/2 c. coconut water
  • 1/2 c. plain yogurt (optional)
  • 1-2 bananas, sliced
  • 8 fresh strawberries, sliced or 1/4 c. fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 c. granola
  • 2 Tbsp. goji berries (or goji berry-containing trail mix)
  • 2 Tbsp. unsweetened dried coconut
  • 4 tsp. honey (optional)1

Directions

  1. Purée the smoothie cubes with the raspberries, coconut water, and yogurt (if using).
  2. Pour the smoothie into bowls.2
  3. If the smoothie seems too soupy, place in the freezer for 10-20 minutes to firm up.
  4. Top each bowl with 1/2 a banana.
  5. For small bowls, top each one with 2 strawberries or 1 Tbsp. blueberries, 2 Tbsp. granola, 1/2 Tbsp. goji berries (or trail mix), 1/2 Tbsp. coconut, and 1 tsp. honey (if using). For large bowls, double all these quantities.



1 I added the honey this time, but I think I'd skip it next time. Both the smoothie and the toppings were sweet enough on their own and I didn't feel like they needed the extra sweetness from the honey. Back
2 The recipe says that this makes two portions, but TF and I each had ~1/4 of the smoothie this produced and I think I would struggle to each much more than that amount in a single sitting. Even the Kidlet didn't quite finish hers this time. So, I'd be inclined to consider this a four-serving recipe, not two. But follow your heart (and your appetite). Back

No comments:

Post a Comment