Friday 1 March 2024

Avocado Toast with Watercress

I got an avocado to use in a recipe a couple weeks ago, but then the recipe kept getting pushed back and pushed back until the avocado was so overripe that I had to toss it. So I ordered an avocado in the next produce basket. It arrived just in time for the enchiladas I was making! It was not even remotely ripe yet. Oh well... We ended up having the enchiladas without any avocado and I planned a different avocado-topped recipe for later in the week. Two days later, when I got to the cornmeal pancakes, the avocado still wasn't ripe. So we had them without any avocado either. Which was disappointing, but not the end of the world. But now I'd gone through all of my planned avocado-using recipes and still had an avocado sitting in the fruit basket!

Perusing my cookbooks turned up this avocado toast recipe. It seemed like a nice, easy way to use up my ill-timed avocado, so I rolled with that.

It was pretty nice. Although, since we had some leftover bacon in the fridge, TF and I chose to add a slice of bacon and a fried egg to each of ours. The bacon added a nice hit of saltiness and umami. And the egg gave it a protein boost and made it a bit more filling and substantial.



Avocado Toast with Watercress

Slightly adapted from The Breakfast Bible by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 3 slices of bread, toasted
  • 1 avocado, sliced or mashed
  • 3 slices cooked bacon (optional)
  • 1 c. watercress
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2-3 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds, toasted
  • pinch coarse or flaky sea salt
  • 3 large eggs, fried (optional)

Directions

  1. Place a few slices of avocado or spread a layer of mashed avocado onto each slice of toast.
  2. If using bacon, cut each slice in half and place two pieces (ie. one slice) on each piece of toast.
  3. Toss the watercress with the olive oil and lemon juice and put ~1/3 c. on top of each toast slice.
  4. Sprinkle ~1/2 Tbsp. of sunflower seeds on top of each slice of toast.
  5. Sprinkle with a little bit of salt.
  6. If desired, top with a fried egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment