Tuesday 26 March 2024

Fennel-Crusted Chicken with Fennel Salad

So, as I've probably stated before, I'm not generally a huge fan of fennel. But every once in a while I'll give it a go, just to see if this recipe pulls it off in a way that I actually enjoy. Usually I find that I still don't care for it. But every once in a while I'll fin a recipe that really nails it! I feel like this recipe falls into that latter camp. I don't think I'd call it a "favourite", but it was pretty good. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and I wouldn't hesitate to make it again, especially if I needed a way to use up some fennel.


Fennel-Crusted Chicken with Fennel Salad

Slightly adapted from Dish of the Day by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 1/2 Tbsp. fennel seeds
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 fennel bulb, shaved/thinly sliced
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fennel fronds
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/4 c. dry rosé wine1
  • 1/4 c. chicken stock
  • 1 tsp. cornstarch (cornflour)

Directions

  1. Combine the fennel, pepper, salt, and chile flakes and coarsely grind.
  2. Either pound the chicken breasts flat to form two wide flat pieces or bisect them horizontally to form four smaller thin pieces.
  3. Warm 2 tsp. of the oil over medium-high heat.
  4. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts with the ground fennel mixture.
  5. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and cooked through (~4 minutes per side).
  6. Combine the shaved fennel, chives, parsley, lemon juice, and remaining 1 tsp. of oil in a large bowl and toss to combine.
  7. Season the fennel mixture to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
  8. Transfer the chicken to a plate and keep warm.
  9. Meanwhile, combine the wine, chicken stock, and cornstarch and pour into the pan.
  10. Cook, scraping the bottom of the pan, until reduced by half and slightly thickened (1-2 minutes).
  11. Pour the pan juices over the chicken and top with the fennel salad and serve.



1 I didn't have any rosé, so I just used a dry white here. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment