Saturday 9 March 2024

Anadama Waffles with Currants

I still have a tonne of other recipes in the queue that I need to do write-ups for, but I tried out yet another new waffle recipe this morning, so I figured I'd post that first. (Hopefully I can get some of the other write-ups done soon!)

These waffles are an interesting mix: they combine yeast with a cornmeal batter. And then you add in brown sugar, molasses, and currants which all add their own distinctive flavours.

I quite liked these waffles. Especially with a little bit of mango yogurt and maple syrup! But they weren't a favourite for either TF or the Kidlet. Still enjoyed, just not devoured with the same enthusiasm that some of the others were.

And while the yeast-leavened nature of these waffles does mean that you have to be organized enough to mix up the batter the day before, that also means that it's all ready to go the next morning! It was very convenient being able to sleep in a bit and then just roll out of bed, flip the switch on the waffle iron, and be churning out fresh waffles just a few minutes later. Definitely a nice feature of this recipe.

I had slightly more than 1/2 a cup of currants left in the bag and, in retorspect, I wish I'd just mixed them all in. I liked the currants in these waffles, but it would've been nice with even more. Next time I think I'd aim for ~3/4 c.



Anadama Waffles with Currants

Slightly adapted from Waffles: Sweet, Savory, Simple by Dawn Yanagihara

Ingredients

  • 175g all-purpose flour
  • 150g (~1 c.) cornmeal
  • 1/2 Tbsp. instant (rapid-rise) yeast
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 3/4 c. whole (3.25%) milk
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 Tbsp. molasses
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 3/4 c. dried currants

Directions

  1. Combine the flour, cornmeal, yeast, and salt and mix well.
  2. Beat the eggs with the milk.
  3. Whisk in the melted butter, molasses, and brown sugar.
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk to combine.
  5. Stir with a spatula to make sure there are no dry spots. (A few lumps are okay.)
  6. Cover and allow to ferment in fridge for 12-24 hours.
  7. Once the batter has risen, preheat your waffle iron.
  8. Add the currants to the batter and stir to combine.
  9. Pour a portion of batter into the preheated waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer's directions. Repeat until all batter has been used.
  10. Serve with maple syrup, molasses, yogurt, and/or fruit of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment