Thursday 23 November 2023

Wheat Berries with Roasted Veggies

This was a decent dish, but it really feels like more of a side-dish than a main course. I think it would be good with a nice piece of salmon or maybe some chicken.

I also messed up a bit in that I forgot that this recipe called for green onions. So when TF asked me if she could use the rest on her lunch, I told her to go ahead. With no fresh green onions left, I ended up using a bit of scallion oil for roasting the veggies instead of the olive oil suggested in the original.



Wheat Berries with Roasted Veggies

Slightly adapted from Dish of the Day by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 1 c. wheat berries1
  • 3 c. vegetable stock2
  • 3 parsnips, peeled and cubed
  • 1 small (or 1/2 large) butternut squash, peeled and cubed
  • 1 large onion (preferably red), peeled and cubed
  • 5-7 cloves garlic, unpeeled
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil (or scallion oil)
  • 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 1/2 c. dried cranberries
  • 1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 green onions, chopped

Directions

  1. Combine wheat berries and vegetable stock in a small pot and bring to a boil.
  2. reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for ~1 hour.
  3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 230°C (450°F).
  4. Toss parsnips, squash, onion, and garlic with oli, vinegar, salt, and pepper and dump into a roasting pan.
  5. Roast for ~45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
  6. Peel the garlic and return to the veggies.
  7. Drain wheat berries and combine with roasted veggies.
  8. Toss with cranberries, parsley, and green onions.
  9. Drizzle with additional vinegar and serve.



1 I wasn't sure whether hard or soft wheat berries would be better, but I had more hard than soft, so that's what I went with. I figured, if nothing else, hard wheat would offer marginally more protein than soft. Back
2 The original recipe called for 3 1/2 c. water. I did use 3 1/2 c. of water, but opted to add an "herb & garlic" bouillon cube as well. I like how that worked out, so I think I'd just use 3 c. of stock next time. (I don't think the extra 1/2 c. was necessary since it just gets drained at the end anyway. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment