Sunday 19 November 2023

Lemon Curd

My mom makes amazing lemon curd every year at Christmas. It's great just dolloped into little tart shells (or eaten staight out of the jar on a spoon)! And I appreciate that, unlike most lemon curd recipes, hers uses whole eggs. I should really do a write-up for it one of these days. This, however, is not that recipe. This is the lemon curd recipe from The Good Egg.

This particular recipe follows the usual method of using egg yolks only for the curd. This can be somewhat inconvenient, but we have lots of eggs right now and I figure I can always make a pavlova or some other meringue-based confection later this week.

I do intend to do a write-up for my mom's recipe at some point, but I already had the egg book out and readily to hand, so this was convenient for today. Plus, it pleases the completionist in me to check of more recipes!

I appreciate how quickly and easily this lemon curd came together. It was simple to make and came out beautifully with a nice, tart lemon flavour. I'm looking forward to trying it in some parfaits tomorrow.

Lemon Curd

From The Good Egg by Marie Simmons

Ingredients

  • 5 large egg yolks
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
  • 1/4 c. butter, cut into 12-16 pieces

Directions

  1. Combine the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a small pot and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
  2. Reduce heat slightly and whisk in butter, once piece at a time, until very thick.
  3. Pour into tightly jar and store in fridge until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment