Saturday 4 November 2023

Cabbage, Green Olive, and Onion Frittata

I had been intending to make parfaits for breakfast this morning. But then TF reminded me of the back bacon in the fridge that really needed to be cooked and used up. And we have a surplus of eggs right now. So, instead of parfaits, TF cooked up the back bacon and I made this frittata to go with it. It's not going to be a new favourite or anything, but it was decent. Especially with a bit of chutney. And it used up ingredients on hand, so it worked out well.



Cabbage, Green Olive, and Onion Frittata

Slightly adapted from The Good Egg by Marie Simmons

Ingredients

  • 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil1, divided
  • 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter2
  • 2 onions, halved and sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp. chile flakes
  • 550g cabbage, cored and sliced
  • 1/2 c. sliced green olives
  • 8 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 100g mozzarella3, thinly sliced or grated

Directions

  1. Melt the butter with 1 Tbsp. of the oil over medium-low heat.
  2. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden (~10 minutes).
  3. Add the garlic and chile flakes and cook for another minute or two.
  4. Add the cabbage and drizzle the remaining 1-2 Tbsp. of oil on top.
  5. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
  6. Stir well and cook until cabbage is fully wilted (3-5 minutes longer).
  7. Add the olives.
  8. Beat the eggs with the salt and pepper.
  9. Pour the egg mixture over the cabbage mixture and cook until bottom is set (3-4 minutes).
  10. Carefully lift up one edge of the frittata to let some of the raw egg flow under. Repeat at several points around the edge.
  11. Cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
  12. Slide the frittata out onto a plate and then invert back into the pan.
  13. Sprinkle with cheese, cover, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
  14. If desired, place under the broiler for a minute or two to brown the cheese.
  15. Serve with chutney or Worcestershire sauce.



1 The original recipe calls for 3 Tbsp. of oil. I only used 1 1/2. But I was also making this in the same pan that the bacon was cooked in, so I had all the "fond" from that to work with. It wasn't very fatty, but it was salty and flavourful. If I was making this without the accompanying bacon, I'd probably bump the oil up to at least 2 Tbsp. Back
2 I used the last little nubbin of butter in the wrapper. I think it was probably only ~1 tsp. maybe 1 1/2. But, again, I figured this would be fine since I had the back bacon fond to work with. (See previous footnote.) Back
3 I didn't have any mozzarella handy. Simmons suggests Teleme as a good choice, but I've never even heard of that cheese, so I just used the mildest melty cheese that I had: a mild, reduced-fat cheddar. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment