Saturday 18 November 2023

Shrimp, Potato, and Egg Salad

We don't have shrimp very often anymore since the Kidlet started having bad reactions to shellfish. But, I picked up some small shrimp on sale and decided to give this a go as a brunch thing for me and TF.

I really like this salad! It's a great combo of flavours, satisfying, and easy to make. I do think it would be nice with a few capers added, but it's really good as-is.

I didn't have any fresh dill, so I just used dry instead. It's not quite as aromatic and vibrant as fresh would have been, but it was still tasty and much more convenient this way. I also ended up using a mix of peas and corn since I was a bit short on peas. I think both work well in this salad. And, while I did use the sweet onion as prescribed by the recipe, I think that green onions would make a decent substitute if you don't happen to have any sweet onions on hand. Oh, and I also added an extra egg just because I thought the proportions looked better that way. I might even consider adding a sixth egg next time.

For a somewhat lighter option, I think that you could probably get away with swapping out up to half the mayo with plain Greek yogurt. Especially if you added a bit of extra salt and/or capers.


Shrimp, Potato, and Egg Salad

Slightly adapted from The Good Egg by Marie Simmons

Ingredients

  • 450g small potatoes
  • 340g cooked and peeled tiny shrimp (150-200/lb. size)
  • 1 c. frozen green peas
  • 1/2 c. frozen corn (optional)
  • 5-6 hard-boiled eggs1
  • 1/2 c. mayonnaise
  • 2-4 Tbsp. minced sweet onion
  • 2 Tbsp. minced fresh dill (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp. capers (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt2
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • cherry tomatoes (optional)
  • lettuce (optional)

Directions

  1. Boil the potatoes until fork-tender (~20 minutes).
  2. Place shrimp, peas, and corn (if using) in a colander in the sink and drain the potatoes into the colander. (The hot water will thaw the shrimp and veggies.)
  3. Peel and dice the potatoes and the eggs.
  4. Combine the potatoes, eggs, shrimp, peas, corn (if using), mayo, onion, dill, lemon juice, capers (if using), salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
  5. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
  6. Serve as is or on a bed of lettuce with cherry tomatoes.



1 I actually just dropped the eggs into the pot with the potatoes to cook. I took them out after 12 minutes and let them sit in a bowl of cold water to cool down while the potatoes finished cooking. Back
2 Reduce or omit salt if using capers. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment