Tuesday 21 November 2023

Blood Orange and Lemon Curd Parfaits

Continuing my way through the parfait recipes in the Breakfast Bible, I decided to give this citrusy one a try. It's ideally meant to be made with pistachios and goji berries, both of which I usually have on hand. But I'd forgotten that I'd used up the last of my goji berries a while ago and hadn't bothered restocking immediately since I don't tend to use them very often. Whoops! Fortunately the recipe also suggested golden raisins as an acceptable alternative. And those I did have!

I really enjoyed this combination. The colours were pretty and the flavours were excellent. That said, I think it also would have been fine with regular oranges. Not quite as visually striking, maybe, but I think the flavours still would have worked out quite well. And I actually really liked the sweetness of the raisins in it. The do think the goji berries would have been a nice complement to the lemon, but they also tend to be a bit less sweet than raisins in my experience, so choose your fruit according to your tastes.

I found pistachios a somewhat surprising combination here. It was good, don't get me wrong! Just unexpected. I really enjoyed the pistachios in it, but I think it would be interesting to experiemnt with different nuts too. Toasted almonds were my first idea, but I think cashews could also be quite nice. Maybe something to consider for next time...


Blood Orange and Lemon Curd Parfaits

Slightly adapted from The Breakfast Bible by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 1 c. lemon curd, divided
  • 4 blood oranges, peeled and sectioned1, divided
  • 1/4 c. dried goji berries or golden raisins, divided
  • 3 c. plain Greek yogurt, divided
  • 1/4 c. chopped pistachios2, divided

Directions

  1. Put 2 Tbsp. of lemon curd in the bottom of each jar.
  2. Top each with the sections from 1/2 an orange.
  3. Add 1/2 Tbsp. of raisins or goji berries to each one.
  4. Then add 6 Tbsp. of yogurt to each jar.
  5. Repeat layers. (This should use up the remainder of the lemon curd, oranges, raisins/goji berries, and yogurt.)
  6. Top each parfait with 1 Tbsp. of pistachios and serve.



1 The original recipe called for "peeled and sliced", but I felt like cutting out the membrane entirely would make them easier to eat, so I opted for sectioning rather than slicing. Back
2 If you have the time and patience for it, I think toasting the pistachios before chopping would make the final result even tastier. That said, I still found it very good with untoasted pistachios, so go with whatever works for you. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment