Saturday 11 November 2023

Buttermilk Coleslaw with Carrots and Raisins

I was going to make the Carolina red slaw recipe from Cook's Country to go with our pulled pork. However, it turns out that the slaw recipes for that issue were only actually part of the digital edition and are no longer available unless you're a paid subscriber. Bummer.

I thought about looking for "red slaw" recipes elsewhere. There are definitely lots online. But, given how many cookbooks we have (and how much of a completionist I am), I figured that maybe it made more sense to seek out a coleslaw recipe in one of the many cookbooks we own instead.

A quick search of Dish of the Day turned up this buttermilk slaw recipe. I didn't have the red cabbage for it, but I did still have a truly terrifying amount of green cabbage, so I decided to just make it with all green cabbage. Not as pretty, for sure, but it was still nice. Although I think we ended up going a bit heavy on the pepper and light on the salt. I've corrected that in the recipe below.



Buttermilk Coleslaw with Carrots and Raisins

Slightly adapted from Dish of the Day by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c. golden raisins
  • 3/4 c. mayonnaise
  • 1/2 c. buttermilk1
  • 1/4 c. sour cream2
  • ~1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
  • ~1/4 c. chopped fresh chives
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1/4 tsp. white peppercorns, ground
  • 2 carrots, peeled and grated
  • 2-3 shallots, halved and sliced
  • 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
  • ~1kg cabbage, thinly sliced (preferably a mix of red and green)

Directions

  1. Soak the raisins in warm water for 20-30 minutes, then drain.
  2. Combine the mayo, buttermilk, sour cream, parsley, chives, salt, and pepper and mix well.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the carrots, shallots and vinegar, mix well, and set aside.
  4. In a large bowl, combine the cabbage and raisins.
  5. Add the dressing and carrot mixture and mix very well.
  6. Garnish with additional parsley and chives and serve.



1 I was all out of buttermilk, but I remembered that I had some buttermilk powder in the pantry, so I just used 2 Tbsp. of that + 1/2 c. of water for the buttermilk component of my dressing. Back
2 This dressing would absolutely be best made with full fat sour cream. I chose to swap in fat-free Greek yogurt for my dressing both to reduce the calorie count and to avoid having to go out to the shops for any more ingredients. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment