Sunday 5 March 2023

Congrí (Cuban Black Beans and Rice)

I had initially intended to follow the Cook's Country recipe for black beans and rice. But their version was meant to be a quick method using canned black beans and I didn't have any of those on hand. I thought about trying to adapt it but, in the end, I decided that I'd rather just look up an entirely different recipe onilne.

I stuck pretty close to the recipe I selected. Although I did halve all the quantities. And then halved the oil again (just to try to trim a few calories). And I used brown rice instead of the parboiled called for because long-grain brown is our default rice. And, since I didn't have any chorizo (or bacon or salted pork belly or smoked ham hocks or any of the various other pork products called for), I chopped up half a block of smoked tofu and tossed that in instead. Definitely not as rich and meaty as the pork would've been but, if nothing else, it made for a convenient way to use up the tofu.

And, of course, as is almost traditional for me at this point, I forgot to add the cilantro at the end. Oh well... it'll be good on the leftovers.



Congrí

Slightly adapted from Food52

Ingredients

  • 225g dried black beans
  • 6 c. water
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 onion1, chopped
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 dry Spanish chorizo sausage2, chopped
  • 2 c. long-grain brown rice
  • 1/2 Tbsp. cumin seeds, ground
  • 1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/16 tsp. ground turmeric
  • chicken stock, as needed
  • salt, to taste
  • 1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

  1. Combine beans, water, and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
  2. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for ~90 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat.
  4. Add bell pepper and onion and cook for 3-4 minutes.
  5. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
  6. Add chorizo and cook for 2-3 minutes.
  7. Add rice and cook for another couple of minutes.
  8. Add cumin, garlic powder, pepper, salt, oregano, and turmeric and cook for 30-60 seconds longer.
  9. Remove from heat and set aside until beans are done. (It's okay if the beans are still a bit firm after the initial 90 minutes of cooking, they will get cooked more with the rice.)
  10. Once the beans are cooked enough to eat, but still somewhat firm, remove from heat.
  11. Pour off and measure the bean cooking water. If you're using homemade stock (or if you didn't need to add much stock to your bean water), then you may want to add a bit of extra salt to your liquid. I added ~1/2 tsp. to mine.
  12. Add enough chicken stock to the water to bring the volume up to 4 c.
  13. Add the beans and the bean liquid to the rice mixture.
  14. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
  15. Cover and reduce heat to low.
  16. Cook, covered, for ~30 minutes.
  17. Remove from heat and stir the rice.
  18. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
  19. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve!



1 I was fresh out of bell peppers, so I actually omitted both the bell pepper and the onion and put in 2 c. of frozen "spaghetti mix" instead. It's a combination of red and green bell pepper, onion, carrot, and celery. That gave me the pepper and onion that I needed and I figured that the addition of a bit of carrot and celery wouldn't hurt. Back
2 As noted above, I didn't have any pork products available, so I used smoked tofu instead. The Cook's Country recipe called for salted pork belly as the meaty component. And I saw others that called for bacon and one that incorporated smoked ham hocks. So... the takeaway seems to be use something meaty, salty, and preferably involving pork; smoke optional. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment