Monday 27 March 2023

Ube Halaya (Purple Yam Jam)

I had a bunch of grated ube left after my ube waffle experiemnts the other day, so I decided to go looking for ideas of what to make with it. I contemplated various cakes and puddings but, after consulting with TF, we opted for ube halaya as it's delicious on its own and also an ingredient in many other ube-based desserts.

I ran across a few different variants on the basic theme of ube, sugar, and milk (either dairy, coconut, or both). Most included coconut milk and sweetened condensed milk. Some also included evaporated milk, granulated sugar, and/or brown sugar. And a few called for grated cheddar.

Most of the pictures of homemade ube halaya that I've seen show it being quite thick. As in, moldable and sliceable. I got tired of cooking and stirring mine, so I stopped it before it got that thick. Mine came out more like Nutella or tahini than butter or membrillo.


Ube Halaya

Slightly adapted from Decorated Treats

Ingredients

  • 300g thawed frozen grated ube
  • 1 tsp. ube extract
  • 150g sweetened condensed milk
  • 150g coconut milk
  • 1/8 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 45g unsalted butter

Directions

  1. Combine the ube, ube extract, sweetened condensed milk, and coconut milk and mix well.
  2. Cook over medium-low heat1, stirring constantly, for 30 minutes.
  3. Mix in the salt and butter and continue cooking and stirring for another 10-15 minutes.
  4. The original recipe called for cooling the jam with the lid on, periodically wiping away condensation before transfering to the fridge for storage. I didn't do this; hopefully my jam won't suffer for the missed step.



1 The original recipe called for cooking it over low heat, but after 35 minutes at low, the mixture still wasn't thickening up as much as I'd hoped, so I nudged it up to medium-low. After another 20 minutes at low, it still wasn't sliceably thick, but I was tired of standing over the pot, so I called it. I'm hoping that if I put it on medium-low from the get-go next time, I can get it to a reasonable consistency within the original 40 minute timeframe given. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment