Friday 3 March 2023

Whipped Cottage Cheese Dessert

I tried to load up on healthy snack options on my last grocery run. I usually don't get too much fresh produce because I worry about not being able to eat it fast enough or forgetting about it or having to rejig the meal plan in a way that doesn't incorporate those ingredients or something. So, historically, I've relied instead on having lots of frozen fruits and veggies available at all times. But I'm hoping that if I just get into the habit of eating lots of fruit and veg every day, then I can keep on top of the fridge contents and minimize food waste while also keeping lots of fresh produce on hand. We'll see how it goes...

The other thing I stocked up on were fat-free cultured dairy products: sour cream, Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese in particular. Sour cream works well as a topping for a lot of things and Greek yogurt and cottage cheese can both be dressed up into reasonably healthy desserts without too much effort.

I'd seen a few recipes for no-bake, diet "cheesecake" or "cheesecake cups" floating around the Internet, so I decided to give that a try. The basic idea is that you blend up some cottage cheese with some vanilla and your sweetener of choice (and any other flavourings you want) and then optionally top it with fruit. And, I gotta say, it's pretty darn good! I can see myself coming back to this one.



Whipped Cottage Cheese Dessert

Ingredients

  • 500g fat-free cottage cheese
  • 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
  • 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp. lemon zest (optional)
  • 1 c. fresh or frozen fruit

Directions

  1. In a blender, combine the cottage cheese, maple syrup, vanilla, and lemon zest (if using) and purée until smooth.
  2. Divide into four equal portions.
  3. Top each portion with ~1/4 c. of chopped fruit (thawed if frozen).

No comments:

Post a Comment