Sunday 26 March 2023

Chocolate Oatmeal

I've been working my way through some healthy breakfast ideas found online. Sadly most of them still work out to way more Points than I feel I can afford for a breakfast, but I've been tweaking some of the ingredients and portion sizes to try to bring the Points cost down to a reasonable level.

This oatmeal, for example, was originally meant to serve 4 and was cooked in milk and sweetened with honey. It got topped with more honey, dark chocolate, chopped walnuts, and sliced bananas. I made a half batch, but split it into 3 servings instead of 2. I also replaced half the milk with water (and then ended up adding quite a bit more water because I don't like my oatmeal so thick). I replaced the honey with chopped date and a bit of extra banana and used only the nuts and sliced bananas for topping. (No chocolate for me. :( )
All these changes did significantly reduce the Points cost. And I might be able to shave another Point off by replacing the walnuts with almonds. But I'm not sure I enjoyed this breakfast enough to keep tinkering with it. It was alright. And it had the virtue of being pretty quick and easy to throw together. But... for 5 Points, there are other things that I like better. (Like egg salad, okonomiyaki, or cottage cheese pancakes for example.) But, at least now I've tried it and I can check it off my list! And, despite the somewhat high Points cost, I do think this makes a reasonably healthy breakfast. And, if you're not cutting calories, being able to top it with chocolate as indicated in the original recipe would probably go a long way to making it richer and more delicious.

Chocolate Oatmeal

Adapted from Food Network

Ingredients

  • 1 Medjool date, pitted and chopped
  • 2 bananas, one chopped, one sliced
  • 1 c. water
  • 1/2 c. milk (or oat milk)
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. almond extract
  • 1 c. rolled or quick oats
  • 1 Tbsp. cocoa (I used Dutched)
  • 3 Tbsp. chopped walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, or almonds
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped dark chocolate (optional)

Directions

  1. Combine the date, chopped banana, water, milk, vanilla, and almond extract and bring to a gentle simmer.
  2. Add the oats and cocoa and cook until desired consistency.
  3. Divide into three equal portions and top with sliced bananas, nuts, and chocolate (if using).

No comments:

Post a Comment