Monday 4 December 2023

Scrambled Eggs Piperade

I didn't find that this pepper-ful scramble looked very appetizing, but it was actually quite tasty.

I made a few adjustments to the recipe. Nothing drastic, just small things to make it a bit more convenient and/or healthy. I halved the fat, using just 2 Tbsp. instead of 4. I also used a mix of red, orange, and yellow peppers rather than the two green and one red that the recipe called for. I swapped out the ham for smoked tofu. And I ended up using ~800mL of canned diced tomatoes rather than the 700-ish mL of fresh tomatoes called for in the original. I'm sure that all these changes weren't ideal, but, as I said, I was trying to work with what I had on hand.


Scrambled Eggs Piperade

Adapted from The Good Egg by Marie Simmons

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbsp. bacon fat
  • 4 onions, halved and sliced
  • 3 bell peppers, cored and sliced
  • 1 large (~800mL) can diced tomatoes
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 c. diced smoked tofu (or ham)
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 8 large eggs
  • toast, roasted potatoes, and/or hash browns

Directions

  1. Melt the bacon fat over medium-low heat.
  2. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook until very tender (~10 minutes).
  3. Add the tomatoes and garlic, increase heat to medium, and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated (10-15 minutes).
  4. Add the tofu (or ham), salt, and pepper.
  5. Beat the eggs and pour them into the pan with the veggies.
  6. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring gently, until eggs are set (~5 minutes).
  7. Serve with toast and/or potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment