Thursday 28 December 2023

Buttermilk Waffles

So, I was going to make some baked eggs in a vegetable stew for breakfast this morning, but it turned out that I only had half as many tomatoes as the recipe called for. I considered running out to the store to resupply, but, in the end, I asked TF to fridge the partially assembled stew and switched gears to make some more waffles for breakfast this morning. I figured the Kidlet would be delighted to have even more waffles this morning and it gave me a chance to try another recipe from the waffle cookbook. Plus, it gave me another day to procure the necessary ingredients.

I enjoyed these waffles, but I didn't find them significantly better than the previous basic waffles. And I found them a little more finnicky to make since they require beaten egg whites. That said, the Kidlet did say that she preferred these ones to the previous batch. However, she liked them both well enough that I don't think I'd generally pick this recipe over the basic one. Still, these waffles could be nice for a special occasion or if you have some extra buttermilk that you need to use up.



Buttermilk Waffles

Slightly adapted from Waffles: Sweet, Savory, Simple by Dawn Yanagihara

Ingredients

  • 250g all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1 3/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 large eggs, separated
  • 2 c. buttermilk
  • 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

Directions

  1. Preheat your waffle iron.
  2. Combine flour, sugar, and salt.
  3. Sift in baking powder and baking soda.
  4. Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl or large measuring cup.
  5. Beat the buttermilk into the egg yolks.
  6. Gradually beat the butter into the buttermilk mixture.
  7. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until just combined.
  8. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.1
  9. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
  10. Pour an appropriate portion of batter into the preheated waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer directions, but leave the waffle in for an extra 20-30 seconds.
  11. Serve immediately with whipped cream, maple syrup, fresh fruit, jam, and/or fruit compotes.



1 I overbeat my whites slightly, but the waffles still seemed to turn out okay. Although I think that it probably would've been a bit easier to mix if the whites hadn't been so stiff. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment