Monday 18 December 2023

Mixed Berry Galette

I wanted an easy dessert to take over to TM's house the other day and decided to give this galette a try. It would ideally be made with fresh berries, but I decided to go for frozen mixed berries instead. I think this was fine, except that frozen berries tend to be very juicy and wet when they thaw out. And since I thawed them first and then assembled the pastry, the juice ran out all over the baking sheet. Next time I might try cooking them directly from frozen. Either that, or I'd attempt to drain off the juice before assembling. But I think just cooking them from frozen might be the way to go.

The original recipe calls for a combination of blueberries and blackberries. My frozen fruit medly was a combination of blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries, so I just rolled with that. I quite liked the strawberries in it!

I also swapped out the pastry recipe given in the book for a sourdough pastry that I'd made before. I felt like the bit of whole wheat and hint of sourdough tang would complement the berries nicely. And I am quite happy with how that swap worked out overall.

Instead of Turbinado sugar, I sprinkled the assembled galette with a bit of vanilla sugar. I think the slightly chunkier Turbinado would have been great, but it wasn't worth going out and buying a whole bag just for the tablespoon or so that I would've used here, so vanilla sugar did the job just fine.

The finished dessert looked a bit of a mess, but everyone seemed to like it and the Kidlet named it a "favourite", so I'll call it a success!

Photo goes here.

Mixed Berry Galette

Slightly adapted from Dish of the Day by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 1 recipe sourdough pastry
  • 4 c. mixed berries
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 3-4 Tbsp. flour
  • 1-2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. water
  • 2-3 tsp. Turbinado or vanilla sugar

Directions

  1. Make pastry as directly, wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Roll pastry out to a thickness of ~3mm, trim edges so that it is roughly circular, and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
  4. Combine berries, sugar, flour, and lemon juice and place in centre of pastry.
  5. Fold edges over into loose pleats, leaving centre open.
  6. Beat egg with water and brush the crust with egg mixture.
  7. Sprinkle with Turbinado sugar.
  8. Bake at 220°C (425°F) for 20-25 minutes.
  9. Serve with vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment