Monday 11 December 2023

Dark Gingerbread

I saw the massive quantity of ginger called for in this recipe and knew I had to give it a try.

The results weren't super aesthetic, but it was pretty tasty. I think it might be a bit too gingery for my taste, but I think TF and the Kidlet will like it.

As for the aesthetics. I think the way it sank in the middle probably means that it had a bit too much leavener in it. I've amended the recipe to use 1/2 tsp. each of baking soda and baking powder rather than a full teaspoon of bicarb. I think I'd also recommend baking it in 20cm x 10cm (8x4") pans next time rather than the 9x5" (23cm x 13cm) ones called for in the original recipe. And, finally, I think I'd be a bit more aggressive with the mixing. I did my usual thing of only mixing it until just combined because I'm always a bit wary of overmixing. Especially in a recipe like this where it's only leavened with baking soda. I know that soda's going to start reacting with the buttermilk the second I combine the wet and dry ingredients and the more I mix it, the more bubbles I'll knock out. That said, I think the batter was probably slightly undermixed and that may have contributed to the way the cakes broke a bit when being turned out of the tins. So, hopefully just a touch more mixing next time will rectify that.

Photo goes here.

Dark Gingerbread

Slightly adapted from Dish of the Day by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 470g all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. allspice berries, ground
  • 1 c. unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. grated fresh ginger
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 c. molasses
  • 1 c. buttermilk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease and flour two 20cm x 10cm (8x4") loaf pans.
  2. Sift baking soda and baking powder into flour.
  3. Add salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, and allspice and mix to combine.
  4. Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy (~3 minutes).
  5. Mix in the fresh ginger followed by the egg.
  6. Add the molasses and mix for another minute or two.
  7. Mix in ~1/3 of the dry ingredients followed by half the buttermilk.
  8. Mix in half of the remaining dry ingredients followed by the remaining buttermilk.
  9. Add the remaining dry ingredeints and mix until well-combined.
  10. Divide the batter between the prepared tins.
  11. Smooth the top and bake at 180°C (350°F) for 45-55 minutes.
  12. Let cool in tins for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment