Wednesday 13 December 2023

Breakfast Cubano

I needed to make myself a bag lunch for the first time in a while last weekend. Normally I would have just taken some dinner leftovers, but we were fresh out, so I had to cobble something else together. We had lots of sliced luncheon meats, so I figured some sort of sandwich was the way to go. In the end, I took some inspiration from the Breakfast Bible and made myself a Cubano-esque sandwich for lunch.

Breakfast Cubano

Slightly adapted from The Breakfast Bible by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 2 slices bread
  • 4 tsp. mustard
  • 2 slices Swiss cheese
  • ~40g sliced ham1
  • 1 Tbsp. butter2
  • 1 large egg
  • 2-3 slices dill pickle

Directions

  1. Spread each slice of bread with ~2 tsp. of mustard.
  2. Top each with a slice of cheese.
  3. Put the meat on top of one of the slices.
  4. Melt 1 tsp. of the butter over medium heat.
  5. Crack the egg into the pan and fry to desired done-ness. Over easy is good if the sandwich will be eaten right away, but over hard is probably better for a packed lunch.
  6. Place the egg on top of the ham/meat and top with the pickles.
  7. Place the other slice of bread (cheese-side-down) on top of the pickles.
  8. Spread the remaining butter on the outsides of the sandwich.
  9. Transfer the sandwich to the pan and cook on medium-low heat until bread is brown and crisp on both sides and cheese is melted (~5 minutes per side).
  10. Transfer to cutting board, cut in half, and serve.



1 I swapped out the ham for chicken, but added a slice of salami just to get a nice variety of flavours. Back
2 I swapped out the butter for bacon grease, but either will work fine. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment