Wednesday 6 December 2023

Eggs and Sourdough Bread Fried in Olive Oil

This is a very simple dish. Basically just fried eggs on toast. But the extra little finishing touches -- a dash of chile flakes and a drizzle of red wine vinegar -- really elevate it. Oh, and liberal use of garlic doesn't hurt either!

I will note, that the cooking process didn't seem to work out quite the way the recipe seemed to expect for me. The instructions say to add all of the olive oil to the pan, fry the bread in it, then remove the bread and fry the eggs in it (spooning the oil over the yolks to help cook them), then removing the eggs and frying the garlic in it. And I was looking at the recipe and thinking, "The bread is just going to soak up all the olive oil as soon as I add it to the pan and there's not going to be any left to cook the rest of the stuff in!" I decided to give it a go anyway, but the bread did, in fact, soak up most of the olive oil immediately, just as I suspected it would. I was careful in flipping the bread over, to avoid the small remaining puddle of olive oil, so I did end up having a tiny bit left in which to cook the eggs. But the pan was completely dry by the time the eggs came out! I managed to srape a few drops out of the measuring spoon that I'd used to quantify the oil in the first place and added that to the pan along with the garlic just so it would have something to cook in. But there definitely wasn't any "garlic oil" to drizzle over the eggs at the end. So, I guess I need either more oil or less absorbent bread? Absent either of those conditions, I might try dividing the oil next time and holding some in reserve for cooking the garlic and eggs. Maybe 1 Tbsp. in at the beginning, 1 tsp. when the bread is flipped, 1 tsp. when the eggs are added, and 1 tsp. with the garlic? I might be something to try anyway, just to see how it works.


Eggs and Sourdough Bread Fried in Olive Oil

Slightly adapted from The Good Egg by Marie Simmons

Ingredients

  • 2 slices sourdough bread
  • 1 clove garlic, cut in half
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • ~1/16 tsp. chile flakes
  • 1/4 tsp. red wine vinegar

Directions

  1. Rub both sides of both slices of bread with the cut sides of the garlic.
  2. Mince the garlic and set aside.
  3. Heat the oil over medium heat.
  4. Add the bread and fry until crisp (2-3 minutes per side).
  5. Transfer to plate and set aside.
  6. Crack eggs into pan, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, for 3-4 minutes.
  7. Top each fried bread slice with an egg.
  8. Add the garlic to the pan (along with a tiny bit more oil if it is dry) and fry for 30-60 seconds.
  9. Top the eggs with the fried garlic, chile flakes, and vinegar and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment