Monday 28 March 2022

Breakfast Quinoa

I bought a bag of quinoa ages ago, just to try it out. But I just never quite got around to using it. I've since discovered some quinoa dishes that I really like. But even so, I never seem to end up making them at home.

I did apparently use a least a little out of the bag at some point because when I went to get it out of the pantry, I found that it had already been opened. But I can't have used very much, because the bag is still basically full.

Anyway, I found this breakfast quinoa recipe and figured it was worth trying out. It's pretty similar to oatmeal or cog or any other sweet breakfast porridge, just made with quinoa instead of oats or corn. If nothing else, it uses up a bit more of my quinoa supply!

In the end, I think sweet quinoa is not for me. I like it better as a savoury salad than as a sweet porridge. It's fine. It's not bad. It's just not my jam. I'll stick to oats and corn and rice for my morning slurries. But, if you're big on quinoa and don't have the same biases as me, this is probably worth giving a go.



Breakfast Quinoa

Slightly adapted from Modern Proper

Ingredients

  • 400mL lite coconut milk
  • 100mL water
  • 1 c. quinoa, rinsed
  • ~2 Tbsp. unsweetened dried shredded coconut
  • ~2 Tbsp. sliced almonds
  • 1 c. frozen (or fresh) mixed berries
  • 1/4 c. maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Combine the coconut milk and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. (You can rinse the quinoa while waiting for the water to boil.)
  2. Add the quinoa and allow to return to boil.
  3. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
  4. While quinoa is cooking, toast the coconut and almonds in a dry pan over medium heat.
  5. Once quinoa is tender and most of the liquid is gone, stir in the berries, maple syrup, and cinnamon.
  6. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
  7. Top with toasted coconut and almonds and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment