Tuesday 22 March 2022

Chicken and Mushroom Clay Pot Rice

I had originally been hoping to do a nian gao stir-fry for dinner tonight, but the Kidlet got sick last Wednesday, so we've all been trying to isolate just in case it's the COVIDs. (Her RAT came up negative but... given everything we know about Omicron, I figure there's still a good chance that's what she has.) She's double vaxxed and TF and I are triple vaxxed and she's bounced back really fast, so I figure we should probably be alright to start going out again by tomorrow. But that left me with nothing for dinner for tonight. So it was off to the Woks of Life blog with me to search for more dinner inspiration.

This clay pot rice dish sounded tasty and easy. We don't have a clay pot to cook it in, but I reasoned that the tagine would work well as a stand-in for a Chinese-style clay pot (it did). And it would allow me to use up the rest of the chicken thighs that I got in the last grocery order. Plus it would be an opportunity to try cooking with dried lily buds. (Which I have in the pantry, but hadn't gotten around to using yet.)

This recipe needs a little bit of advanced planning due to the soaking involved. But other than that, it's very easy and simple to put together. I like the one-pot nature of the dish, but I'd be curious to try the rice-less steamed version sometime too. I also realized (only after I actually began cooking everything -- that it's basically devoid of vegetables. So I would recommend having some vegetable sides on hand to serve with it. (In my case, I went for a quick cabbage stir-fry.)



Chicken and Mushroom Clay Pot Rice

Slightly adapted from Woks of Life

Ingredients

  • 6 dried shiitake (black) mushrooms
  • 10g dried lily buds
  • 5g dried wood ear mushrooms1
  • 200g skinless boneless chicken thighs, sliced
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch (cornflour)
  • 1 Tbsp. light (regular) soy sauce
  • 2 tsp. oyster sauce
  • 1 tsp. 绍兴酒 (Shaoxing wine)
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
  • 1/8 tsp. white peppercorns, ground
  • 1 c. uncooked rice2
  • 1 c. chicken stock
  • 1 Tbsp. oil
  • 1/4 tsp. salt3
  • 1 slice fresh ginger, julienned
  • 1 scallion, chopped, greens and whites separated

Directions

  1. Place the shiitake, wood ears, and lily buds each in a separate bowl and enough boiling water into each to cover them. Set aside to soak for 2 hours.
  2. Drain the shiitake, trim the stems off, and slice them.
  3. Drain the lilies, trim the bottom 5mm of the stems, and place them in a bowl with the sliced shiitake.
  4. Drain the wood ears, rinse them off, roughly chop them, and place them in the bowl with the shiitake and lilies.
  5. Add the chicken to the bowl.
  6. Add the cornstarch, soy sauce, oyster sauce, wine, sugar, sesame oil, and white pepper and mix to combine.
  7. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
  8. Add the rice to the clay pot along with enough water to cover it by a few cm. Set aside to soak for ~30 minutes.
  9. Drain the rice and add the stock, oil, and salt (if using).
  10. Get out the chicken mixture and stir it up.
  11. Layer the chicken mixture over the rice.
  12. Sprinkle the ginger and the green parts of the scallions over the chicken mixture.
  13. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat4 and cook for 2-3 minutes.
  14. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 25 minutes.
  15. Remove from heat, sprinkle with scallion greens, and serve.



1 I didn't have any wood ear mushrooms on hand, so I substituted an equal amount of Chinese black fungus. My understanding is that they're a bit smaller and taste a bit different than wood ear mushrooms, but I had to roll with what I had available. Back
2 The original recipe calls for jasmine rice. I opted to use long-grain brown rice. I have given the instructions for (white) jasmine rice here. You will need to increase both the liquid and the cooking time for brown rice. Back
3 If you're using commercial chicken stock, omit the salt. If you're using a homemade stock without too much salt, you will probably want to add the salt. Back
4 I'm always nervous about putting clay cookware directly on the cooking elements, so I use a flame tamer (or in this case a cast iron pan) under it to avoid hot spots. This however, did cause my tagine to take a little longer to heat up. Possibly this is why I found I didn't really need to extend the cooking time for my rice today. (Although I did use ~1/2 c. extra liquid.) Back

No comments:

Post a Comment