Tuesday 15 February 2022

Berry Breakfast Cake?

I ran across this recipe on the King Arthur Flour website. I bookmarked it because I thought it sounded tasty, but I also question their concept of "breakfast". This is basically a cheesecake. It uses ricotta rather than cream cheese and a higher proprotion of flour than I'm used to seeing in cheesecakes, but it's still pretty much just a crust-less cheesecake with fruit in. To me, it is unequivocally dessert, not breakfast. I mean, I'm not going to tell you when or how to eat your cake -- have it whenever you please -- but I am planning to enjoy mine as a pleasant after-dinner treat.



Berry Breakfast Cake

Slightly adapted from King Arthur Baking

Ingredients

  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 c. ricotta
  • 1 c. sour cream
  • 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries1

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a 20cm (8") round cake pan.
  2. Beat eggs with sugar until light and thickened (~3 minutes).
  3. Beat in ricotta, sour cream, butter, and vanilla.
  4. Mix in flour, salt, and baking powder.
  5. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle berries on top.
  6. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 40-65 mintues (less for fresh berries, more for frozen).
  7. Serve with icing sugar and or cinnamon sprinkled on top.



1 We were low on blueberries, so I ended up using 1/2 c. each of blueberries and raspberries. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment