Saturday 12 February 2022

Mushroom & Leek Bread Pudding

I've had my eye on this bread pudding recipe for a while. It took me a few weeks to gather all the ingredients, but I finally managed to make it. The Kidlet wasn't a fan, but TF and I both liked it. (Although I think it could've done with even more pancetta.)

Mushroom & Leek Break Pudding

Slightly adapted from The Modern Proper

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 50-100g pancetta, diced
  • 1/4 c. chopped walnuts or pecans4 (optional)
  • 1 large or 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 450g cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon
  • 1/4 c. dry white wine
  • 0-1 tsp. coarse sea salt3
  • 1 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 1/3 c. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 c. heavy (35%) cream
  • 1 c. whole (3.25%) milk
  • 1 c. chicken stock1
  • 170g gruyere, grated, divided
  • 5 c. chopped stale bread2

Directions

  1. Heat oil and butter over medium heat.
  2. Add pancetta and cook until slightly crisp.
  3. Add leek and onion and cook until softened and lightly brown (~10 minutes).
  4. Add mushrooms, tarragon, wine, salt, and pepper and cook until liquid is gone.
  5. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
  6. In a bowl, beat eggs with cream, milk, chicken stock, and ~2/3 of the gruyere.
  7. Stir in mushroom-leek mixture and bread chunks.
  8. Let the mixture stand for 20-30 minutes so the bread absorbs most of the liquid.
  9. Grease a 23x33cm (9x13") pan and preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
  10. Dump the mixture into the prepared pan and top with the remaining cheese.
  11. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 30-40 minutes.



Variations

Vegetarian Version

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 6 Tbsp. chopped pecans5
  • 1 large or 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 450g cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon
  • 1/4 c. dry white wine
  • 0-1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 1/3 c. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 c. heavy (35%) cream
  • 1 c. whole (3.25%) milk
  • 1 c. vegetable or mushroom stock
  • 170g gruyere, grated, divided
  • 5 c. chopped stale bread



1 Only just now realized that I completely forgot to add the chicken stock. I thought it seemed a little dry! Oh well... Back
2 The original recipe calls for using fresh bread and baking it in the oven for a few minutes to get it a bit toasty and really dry and thirsty. My bread was already extremely stale, so I didn't bother with this step. If you're using fresh or only slightly stale bread, give it 10-15 minutes in a 350°F oven to get it ready to go before proceeding with the rest of the recipe. Back
3 The original recipe called for 2 tsp. of salt. I thought that sounded like a lot, so I did my usual and halved the salt. I found 1 tsp. to be about right, but I also forgot the chicken stock. If you're using a commercial broth or stock, it will likely already be quite salty. I'd probably leave out the salt entirely if using commercial stock. I might put in 1/2 tsp. if using a relatively lightly salted homemade stock. Back
4 The original recipe didn't call for any nuts and I didn't use any, but I think they'd go really well in this dish. I really liked it as it was, but I think the extra texture and flavour from the nuts would really kick it up a notch. Back
5 I've upped the amount of nuts for the vegetarian version because I think they become more essential when you omit the pancetta. And I think the slightly sweeter pecans will be a better match in this case. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment