Saturday 19 February 2022

Caramelized Onion Sourdough Biscuits

I haven't been baking much bread lately. Or really doing much baking full stop. Which means the sourdough starter has been getting increasingly hungry and acidic in the fridge. I could bake bread with it, but the way I tend to do bread means that I would only use a tiny portion of it. The rest would still be in the fridge. Hungry. So I figured the first thing to do is probably make some sort of quick bread or cake that will allow me to use up a bunch of discard. Once the remaining starter's been fed a few times and is looking little happier and more lively, I can get to the bread.

I have plenty of sourdough discard recipes already. Including some very nice sourdough biscuits. But what can I say? I like trying new things! So I decided to go prowling through the King Arthur website again and see what they had that looked good. And these onion biscuits seemed just the thing.

I think the only thing I'd change if I were to make these again is to add maybe 1 Tbsp. of water to the dough. The biscuits were delicious, but I think the dough could've used just a hint more moisture. I might also consider adding some grated or diced Cheddar cheese. Cheese and onion is such a good combination. I think some old Cheddar would be really excellent in these biscuits!



Caramelized Onion Sourdough Biscuits

Slightly adapted from King Arthur Baking

Ingredients

Onion

  • 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 onion, halved and sliced thin

Biscuits

  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, chilled
  • 2-3 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives1
  • 225g sourdough discard (unfed starter)
  • 1 Tbsp. water (optional)

Dircections

Onion

  1. Melt butter over medium-low heat.
  2. Add sugar and onion and cook, covered, for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Remove from heat and cool completely.

Biscuits

  1. Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F) and grease a baking sheet.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt and mix well.
  3. Cut in butter.
  4. Add chives, cooled onion, and starter and mix until just combined.
  5. If the dough is not quite coming together, add the water. It should be fairly dry and only just cohesive (or even not quite cohesive).
  6. Dump onto a floured surface and press flat.
  7. Fold in half and press flat again.
  8. Repeat previous step four or five times pressing to a thickness of 2-3cm after the last fold.
  9. Cut out circles of desired size (5-7cm works well) and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
  10. Combine scraps, fold and press once more, and cut out a couple more circles.
  11. Bake at 220°C (425°F) for 15 minutes.
  12. Transfer to wire rack to cool.



1 Whoops! Just realized I forgot the chives. Oh well... still delicious! Back

No comments:

Post a Comment