Wednesday 28 February 2024

Buckwheat-Sour Cream Waffles

I've been making a lot of waffles recently, but I swear that I didn't make three batches of waffles back-to-back! I've just been bad at staying on top of doing the write-ups as I cook the things, so now I've got a huge pile to do and I keep reaching for the waffle recipes first when I sit down to type something up. So, my apologies for this inadvertently becoming a non-stop waffle train, but I do have other recipes in the pipeline, I swear! I just need to find the spoons to actually do write-ups for them. In the meantime, here's another waffle recipe!

I really liked these waffles! They weren't my favourite, but they were certainly way up there in the list for me. They've got a bit of body to them and work well as a base for either sweet or savoury toppings. I had my first one with a dollop of sour cream and some cranberries, blueberries, and haskap berries mixed with a bit of honey. TF had hers with a fried egg and some turkey and cheese. And today I decided to go for almond butter, banana, and maple syrup as my toppings. They all worked great! Definitely a nice way to start the morning.



Buckwheat-Sour Cream Waffles

Slightly adapted from Waffles: Sweet, Savory, Simple by Dawn Yanagihara

Ingredients

  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 c. buckwheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 c. sour cream
  • 1 c. milk
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted

Directions

  1. Preheat your waffle iron.
  2. Combine the flours and salt.
  3. Sift in the baking powder and baking soda and stir to combine.
  4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the sour cream and milk.
  5. Whisk the brown sugar into the egg mixture.
  6. Slowly pour in the melted butter while whisking vigorously.
  7. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until just combined.
  8. Stir with a spatula to make sure there are no dry lumps of flour left. Batter will be thick and a bit gluey; this is expected.
  9. Pour a portion of batter into the preheated waffle iron, close, and cook according to manufacturer's directions. Repeat until all batter has been used.
  10. Serve waffles with sweet or savoury toppings of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment